Tuning the quinto?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby K » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:29 am

Hello.
I have a problem with my quinto. It is LP Classic. I can't tune it to sound as good as my tumba and conga. Does anybody know any notes(d,d# etc.) that could sound ok?

Thanks again!
K

Postby stlouieray » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:50 pm

Hey "K", if I were you, I'd simply tune them to intervals, from low to high, and not worry about any note compatibilities. Just tune them so, that they don't ring, at least too much, and have them at different, but complimentary scaled intervals.

That's what I'd do, because you can go around and ask people how, and what they tune their congas to, or what reference they use - and it's all very subjective, or "what YOU like".

Peace,

Ray
stlouieray

Postby Johnny Conga » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:21 pm

Hi K ..3 congas- three pitches.. Standard tuning for 3 congas is Tumba -G below middle C ,then the Conga tuned to C and the quinto, usually the Octave C or higher. Depends on the drum. What size head is your quinto?....At your service....JC JOHNNY CONGA.........
Johnny Conga

Postby OIRAM » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:28 am

My LP classic quinto came in about 3 weeks ago. I felt the same way. It sounded like it had lots of over tones but when I took it to my lesson, my teacher/mentor said it sounded great. He's been playing for 40 years so I take his word for it. It doesn't have the warm tones that my other 2 drums have but the skin is breaking in and it's getting better. My teacher said that it is meant to be tuned high and that the open and closed slaps come out crisp. My quinto also came with a thin skin which is what he likes on his quinto.) JC, LP classic quintos are 11 inches.)
OIRAM

Postby K » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:57 am

Hello JC.
My quinto is 11". I'll try C. I let you know if it's ok.
K

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:09 pm

HI K..11 inch is standard today for a quinto. I have one with a 9 inch head-"requinto". BTW who is your teacher that has been playing for 40 years? ....JC JOHNNY CONGA....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... modore.jpg
Johnny Conga

Postby OIRAM » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:33 pm

My teacher's name is Will Cruz. He was born in NYC but grew up in Bayamon PR. Me moved to Houston in the mid 80's. A great guy, played in salsa groups in PR in 70's and 80's. Currently playing w/ various jazz groups in Houston.
OIRAM

Postby percomat » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:24 pm

Hello, I also use the lp classic model quinto, and have the same trouble with the superthin skin. It creates lots of overtones. I had it for five years, and till now I have been thinking that it`s my technique, but every other drum, including my lp classic conga, now I actually use this instead of the quinto between my legs, plus a pj tomba and conga.
percomat

Postby James McKaskle » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:45 pm

I have two quintos: requinto-wood with skin head (Lp's World Percussion series) which I bought for $170, and a fiber glass body/head quinto (Toca's player series) which I picked up for $130 during Mars Music's going out of business sale. I also bought a large remo Djembe for about $200, some small percussion instruments, and a 48'' Sabian gong with stand and mallet for $730 during that sale. Ahh, student loans!

Anyways, the two quintos have drastically different tones. The requinto has a very deep, growling resonance compared to the Toca quinto. Infact this LP as a serious bass tone for quinto! The toca seems to produce more ringing overtones when tuned to pitch, but generally is more clear sounding in the open tones. The LP seems to be louder and blends in more with djembes when I take it to drum circles. I don't like the blending because I'd like to stand out more in that situation, but it is 20-30 lbs lighter! It's smaller, not as much metal, and doesn't have the metal stress band around it (what is the proper name for that?) But what I really like is the variety of tones I have at my disposal. I tune the Toca to segundo pitch and the requinto to quinto pitch, and it works great. Being a classical guitarist by training, so much emphasis is given to tone control, and stress on sounding as clean as possible, but at the same time, being able to produce varieties of tones to suit the music. To become master of the guitar, not to be mastered by it, which happens when you invest in cheap guitars. But it seems with tumbadores, the kind of variety in "tone types" is best accomplished in variety of makers and price ranges. How bad is it for a an accomplished conguero to play student congas? To what extent can technique have mastery over the quality of the conga?
James McKaskle

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:37 pm

It's not bad for an accomplished conguero to play student congas. Matadors are cool. I have never really had a problem getting a sound out of any drum unless the head was dead from wear, tear, and age. Technique will always have something to do with your playing, it goes without saying. Every instrument takes on it's own form of technique in approach and attack. Just remember depending on what kind of shape the drum is in will dictate approach. At your SErvice...JC JOHNNY CONGA......... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby James M » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:07 am

That's good news for me! I have a pandeiro I bought in salvador made of probably balsa wood, with a tacked skin. It's cheap and mishapen, but is still one of my favorite instruments in my collection. That and my Olodum cuica.

Edited By James M on 1080364098
James M

Postby James M » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:25 am

Back to tuning, one of my favorite tunings is a partial pentatonic for my congas and bongos. Tune the congas P4 and the bongos a M3 apart, with the hembra a m3 above the conga. In terms of notes: G Bb C D. The scale is also part of the blues scale, just missing the passing tone between C# and F. An unconvential use of the bongos, but it has intersting tonal qualities, much more like a batá drum. The bembé I posted for two congas is a scaled down version I played for the this setup and tuning.

Edited By James M on 1080365543
James M

Return to CongaSet and accessories