Heads on Mongo Santamaria congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby kerabe » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:34 pm

I'm going to buy Meinl Mongo Santamaria Congas, because there is almost no other brand at local market.It's true that there is another possibility - Pearl, but because they don't have any congas in their stores and I can't try how they sound, I'm afraid of disappointment although Johnny Conga speaks highly of them and I believe he likes them. But it's just thing of personal preference. The only problem I solve with Mongo Congas is that I couldn't find artificial heads fitting on them. I like much more natural sound and its feeling of touch, but maybe in future I will face at volume problems...
On the other hand..when I hear one of my favourite congueros Richie Flores with Caribbean Jazz Project, I Iike his attack, his clear sound.His heads (and hands) make good work.
Does anybody knows if there are Remo, Evans or another (?) artificial heads for Mongo Conga?

Kerabe
kerabe

Postby pidoca » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:00 am

hi mate, i just got the knew evans catalogue and they have heads that fit the mongo congas. I have just signed an endorsement deal with mainl and couldnt be happier. let me know what yout hink of the congas. I put mine on stands for extra volume and dont find a problem playing bigger gigs. and of course there is always the faithfull microphone for extra volume.

ciao

pidoca
pidoca

Postby rumbaman » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:44 pm

I have a set of marathon exclusives they really sound good even my teacher says so . I saw and tried out a pair of mongo santamaria congas and they where realy nice . I liked how warm they sounded ,now the heads are water buffalo . To me they sounded good and i liked the belly they have on them . I have read here on the forum that the buffalo heads are thin but my teacher says they give a good range of notes . I have the same uncertainty since lp has such a backing of players . Any bias players that could give thier advice ....
rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby Raymond » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:48 pm

Pidoca,

I guess you are talking about Meinl's Mongo Santamaria Signature Series Congas. They come with buffalo skin heads which I like very much. Buffalo heads tend to give a "crisp" sound and in my experience, they do not have that much break in. They are great congas. They are made of ash wood that is the same material as the LP Galaxy Giovanni Hidalgo models. It is strange you cannot find "artificial heads' for them. Among the brands Remo and Evans have heads for are Mein. In addition, Mongo's are the same standard size as LP, Pearl and Toca. However, although the same size, brands could require different synthetic heads because of the rims. (Example: LP Giovannis, although the standard size everybody has, need different synthetic heads because they have a special rim. I am not aware of any other model that has the problem). Check Remo and Evans site and look for their chart for conga heads per brand and/or models (Beware Meinl has "odd" sizes for some of their Marathon line congas but not the Mongo's).

Richie Flores' equipment? Richie has been a Pearl Percussion endorser during the last two or three years. Also, he is an Evans endorser regarding heads. However, be aware that Richie has utilized in some of his early recordings with Caribbean Project his old LP Classic with natural heads. (The natural heads are "pre-mounted' no brand from I've heard from him once that I talked to him here in Puerto Rico). (It might not be Richie's case, but some artists, for logistical reasons and/or personal reasons, some out of their control or on purpose, sometimes do not use the equipment they endorse in recordings.....True!)

Be aware the style of the conguero, the "micking" in the recording, the equalization of the sound of the instrument, and the eventual mix of the record determines how a "conguero", or any other instrument, is going to sound. Of course, the equipment also, the conga, the heads, etc. I've seen Giovanni Hidalgo recording with both his signature models and Evans heads and with LP Classic and some "no brand conga" and natural heads, and the guys gets "his sound across always". Therefore, my recommendation is to "play around" and check equipment, heads, tunings, etc, and see how do you achieve the sound you are looking for. Be aware some people, because of their techniques, tend to sound the same no matter what they use. You have to aspire to that but if you are not there yet "look for your sound (even if its somebody else's sound that you admire).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby kerabe » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:12 pm

They have really nice sound-I tried them at some fair and they surprised me much.....maybe also because before I had LP Aspire and the difference was so big.

Raymond, it's true that endorsers maybe simetimes don't use the brand they endorse....I knew it even before...but I don't know...in this case I didn't realised it. This is also how the endorsement works- I heard Richie and immediately I saw Pearl Elite with Evans heads.

Do you know if Richie Flores was Pearl endorser in time of releasing the CD of CJP called Paraiso?

Kerabe
kerabe

Postby Raymond » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:29 pm

I think Richie has been a Pearl endorser since 2001. I have a couple of CJP CDs. I know the one released around that time, the one with Robert Vilera playing the timbales/drums, who became a Pearl Endorser, as Richie states because of him, he used the LP Classics. (The next CJP has Luis Quintero and Dafnes Prieto doing the drum. The last cut on that album, the Mongo Santamaria song, is a killer....).

Have to check it out.
Raymond

Postby Tonio » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:39 pm

Pidoca,
You're Meinl's endorser? cool!! I had a floatune a while back and loved it. It was alittle heavy but the tone was great.
Well built drum. I only had the 11 quinto, and did not match
with my Lp's ,Skin on Skin so I sold it. wish I never did that.
actually I had a 11" Toca at the same time-I was checking out
different mfg's at the time, due to letting go of my Gon Bops
Int'l models. Sounds crazy, but I got rid of the skin on's too.
Later on I got LP Valje's. End result is I have Lp classics custom finish with cow heads I mounted and Lp Valje's original
water buffalo.
The water buffalo does give a crisp tone and is louder for live gigs. But they don;t last too long for sure. Vs. natural cowhide that give you more natural-warm -traditional sound.
For recording I like to use cowhide for warmer tones and water buffalo for intimate up-front sounds. It depends on what venue,and what the tune calls for.
I need to check out the Mongos from Pearl. Did'nt Armando
actually get the Pearl congas started. I remember seeing him a LAX convention(can't remember exactly which one) endorsing the Pearls. Though he never really played them did he?
T
Tonio

Postby Isaac » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:33 pm

Anyone heard about some newly designed
Pearls coming out? I noticed a lot of deals
in buying the existing Pearls - which I think
are of good value. Maybe this hints at a newer
model coming out. I don't own any, but have seen
Richie Flores play them. They seem to lack in
width in the belly portion of the drum, which
means a loss in the lower tones. A fatter Tumba
would be nice. I don't get the impression that
they were paying to much attention to their
endorsers. Hopefully that'll change.

Isaac
Isaac

Postby tamboricua » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:07 am

Hi Kerabe,

Hope all is well! I did attend Ramón Yslas, another Meinl endorser, clinic at P.A.S.I.C. this past November. He did use a set of Meinl's Mongo Santamarias Signature models with Evans heads mounted on them. Check with Evans!

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby mangorockfish » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:53 am

I talked to the Evans and Remo people a couple of months ago about heads for my Pro Meinls and they told me the high end congas by Meinl have oversized hoops and if the tension on the heads is to great they can pop up through the hoops. Maybe they have some now that fit, but I would make sure before spending all that $$$ for some that MIGHT fit. LOL ???
mangorockfish

Postby tamboricua » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:01 pm

Guest wrote:Anyone heard about some newly designed
Pearls coming out? I noticed a lot of deals
in buying the existing Pearls - which I think
are of good value. Maybe this hints at a newer
model coming out. I don't own any, but have seen
Richie Flores play them. They seem to lack in
width in the belly portion of the drum, which
means a loss in the lower tones. A fatter Tumba
would be nice. I don't get the impression that
they were paying to much attention to their
endorsers. Hopefully that'll change.

Isaac

Hi Isaac,

Hope all is well! Here is a link to some of the new Pearl percussion products for 2004.

http://www.pearldrum.com/newperc.asp

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Raymond » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:10 pm

Isaac,

Pearl is just coming out, advertising and promo started but I am not sure they are out in the market yet, two signature series congas for Bobby Allende and Richie Flores. (Together with the Marc Quinones Signature timbales, I've been told by Pearl, and my source is good, that in about a month they should be out in the stores). Check http://www.pearldrum.com and see the Preview from NAMM 2004.

The Bobby Allende's are in fiberglass and the Richie Flores are in wood. Richie's have a "mayan-aztec" patterns design and a green color that makes them distinctive of anything on the market. Bobby's come with Remo Fiberskyns from the factory and is seamlees fiberglass. Richie's have natural heads. (Matching bongos for both series are available too)

Yes, the new congas follow the style of the original Pearl Elites. Giving the benefit of the doubt to the standards of Richie Flores and Bobby Allende, and the fact that Pearl is trying to compete in a market that is tough, these new congas should do the job.

One thing to consider is Pearl's "bang for the buck" that is unbeatable right now in the market. Waiting to "test drive" these new congas might be worth the wait.....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:27 pm

my friend picoda, can you please update me on the '' mienl collection series wood hand crafted bongos''?? what is you personal opinion on sound since you are a meinl endorser and congratulation!!and also should i change the hembra skin head since is the same thickness as the macho head?? they are cowhide skin. shouln't the hembra skin be thicker???? thank you, my best to you all greats drummers on the forum. franc:D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Return to CongaSet and accessories