compact conga - anyone tried it?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Kari-Matti » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:57 am

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried the giovanni hidalgo's compact conga. I watched the movie clip on LP's page, but it don't give much info, since I think Giovanni's got such a technique that he can make a great sound come out of a bucket. The drum didn't have a very strong bass tone, that I noticed, but it can be just a problem with recording. please share your opinion about the drum.
Kari-Matti

Postby mco » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:33 am

kari-matti,
Go to the second page of the list of topics under "Conga Set and Accessories". Look for the topic "New Giovanni Series Compact Conga". There you will find 3 pages worth of discussion about the drum. I happen to own one and I am impressed with the sound. Yes, it has no bass, but the slaps and open tones sound decent enough. I use mine for practice when travelling (it's not a quiet drum, however).
mco

Postby whammy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:07 am

I really love the bass tones. Even on my fairly cheap Toca Player's Series congas, the bass tone on the conga sounds almost like a kick drum. (THOOOOM!)

I was wondering about this instrument myself, since it seems so easy to transport (and I already have enough stuff to haul around to gigs!!!). I was thinking if it had all the tones, and you could tune say 3 of them differently, I might use those instead. They don't look as nice, but I'm kind of cramped for space as a guitar player too.

Ok... I just listened to the realplayer examples... and this guy is pretty good. :P

But I definitely noticed the lack of a huge wooden body below the head regarding the tones. I didn't think they could make up for that that easily. :(

Edited By whammy on 1075616265
whammy

Postby stlouieray » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:47 am

I have played it, and I thought that it was impressive, all things considered: price, size, limited sound. I have no use for one, unless I wanted to invest in something I could take on vacation, n practice while I visit my folks, or inlaws.

Looking at it objectively though, if I was starting-out, and had limited funds, it might be used in place of a quinto, initially.

:cool:
stlouieray

Postby jdmanteca » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:55 pm

I recently purchase one and I must confess if you are considering this as a first drum, don't do it. By the time you purchase the compact conga and the snare drum stand (you really need a sturdy one) you have spent close to $150-$200. You can get a good entry level quinto for that much. However, if you are getting one for it's size and mobility, it has an incredible sound considering what it is, although it doesn't have a good bass tone. Some trap set drummers have incorporated it into their kits to get a conga sound without making room for a full size drum. It all depends on what you want it for.

Hope this helps.
jdmanteca

Postby stlouieray » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:28 pm

Makes sense JD. I didn't realize there was any additional expense, but just $100.00. Thanks for the info.

:D Ray
stlouieray

Return to CongaSet and accessories