Remo Nyuskins - long life

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Seb » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:48 am

I got some Nuyskins by Remo on one set of congas , I was wondering how long do these skins last I had mine on these's drums now for 2yrs and they still sound outstanding , and they been through #### and back (kids dropped thier drinks on them once) with weather changes and I have yet to have them untuned they have stayed well in range , well how about it anyone here haveing the same life with this product

thanks for your time wrist and hand are doing great and playing back to norm now seeeeyyyyyyaaaa sebastian
Seb

Postby Raymond » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:29 pm

Might have to ask Remo about their life. (Be careful. They might tell you less for the sake of you purchasing more).

Nu Skyns are relatively new, I guess about three years old. I've seen Fyberskins with more than 5 years, however, their tend to lose their "brownish" film they have.

Rule of thumb: Whenever you get the sound been affected, changed them....
Raymond

Postby yoni » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:41 pm

My congas have natural skins but I've had a Fiberskyn on my macho bongo for a couple of years now, and the brown papery film started coming off a while back like you said, Raymond. It was looking pretty bad, so I just peeled the remaining brown layer off and it doesn't seem to affect the sound. The synthetic heads do last longer than the naturals. Next time I replace that bongo head I might try a Nuskyn, which doesn't seem to have the brown film added on.
yoni

Postby Raymond » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:25 pm

Yoni,

The NuSkyn in the macho sounds fine but in the hembra, at least for my taste, I do not get the "deep bass sound" I that I like in contrast with the macho. (As a matter of fact in the macho, with Nu Skyn you get a sharp high pitch tone that is great for those who like that and does not require constantly retuning like with Fyberskins).

One set of my bongos has Nu Skyns and another one has Fyberskins. I prefer the ones with Fyberskins because the hembra sounds the way I want it.

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to CongaSet and accessories