Gon Bops anyone? - learning about Gon Bops

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Tone » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:22 am

I just got my first pair of congas, but being a professional musician for years, I always try to go for a good instrument from the start. I didn't know much and was browsing the classified in London England when I came across the unusual name of Gon Bops which attracted my attention. I also noticed that they were noticeably more expensive than the others (mainly Meinl stuff) and took that as an indication of their quality. Anyway I called the guy and he sold them to me. I have been playing various African hand drum for years and those drums sound absolutely beautiful even though I don't know what I am doing when it come to Latin percussion.
I bought a conga and a tumba Mariano Model IC-3300 and IT-3300. They are in very good condition, the conga head is very thick and mat white, the tumba head is darker with lines running through it and almost transparent. Is that good or bad? Any one knows about this particular model or point me to a site where I could look up the serial numbers? Was this a wise choice?
Thanks
tone
Tone

Postby mangorockfish » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:52 am

Gon Bops are fine congas. My teacher has a couple of sets. They are no longer made under this name, but are called Timbas ( I think this is how it is spelled) now. LOL
mangorockfish

Postby yoni » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:44 am

I also think Gon Bops are real fine drums. I had an oak Gon Bops tumba for many years before it "egged out" completely(head warped into an oval). The whitish skin was muleskin, I think. Tone, if your Gon Bops are dark colored and light in weight, they're probably of mahogany; if they're lighter colored and heavy, they're likely of oak. I prefer the resonance of the heavy shells, but all Gon Bops drums were great. Enjoy!
yoni

Return to CongaSet and accessories