Buying Advice - What's the diff btwn brands

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Tonyr » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:17 am

Hi,

I'm a non drummer looking to buy a present for a drummer that plays semi-professionally. She has a Tumba and wants a Conga. Which manufacturers/brands are best? Where do you get teh best deals? She has a LP Matador Tumbador. Any advice would be appreciated.
Tonyr

Postby CongaCaja » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:01 am

Hi,

Well, you will get many, many opinions regarding what are they best drums, but the reality is that it all depends on the parameters of your purchase. Some parameters will be...

- how much you can spend
- what kind of music will be played
- what are the preferences of the player
- do you want a hand-crafted drum ( more $$ )
- etc, etc.

These questions are even harder to answer with the drum will be a gift.

My opinion is that considering that this drum will be for a semi-professional and she already has a LP Matador, staying with this particular line of drums is the sensible solution. Although one can definitely spend more (up to 5x's more) for a drum, Matadors are good drums that are good value for the money. (Btw, I own a Matador tumba and conga)

Granted there are other good values in the market, but if you get another Matador, it will match her current drum with respect to sound characteristics (which are a factor of shape, wood, construction, head, etc.)

Be careful! LP has a new line called "Matador Custom" which are not the same as Matador. The easy way to tell the difference is that Matador drums have chrome or gold finished hardware (rims and side plates) but the "Matador Custom" have black finish hardware.

From an appearance standpoint, I would suspect that a gift that matched the finish of her current drum would be most welcome. Btw, Matador drums come in both fiberglass and wood. So, I suggest being sure of material, finish and hardware finish before ordering the second drum. Compare the options at LP's site to the drum that she currently has LP Music

Lastly, you should do some shopping around on the net. When I bought my drums, I got a good price from
DrumWorld

Best of luck...

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:25 am

I totally agree with CongaCaja. Matador drums are very good drums for the money. Like CongaCaja I own Matador Conga and Tumba. I absolutely love my drums. As CongaCaja stated, find out whether she has wood or fiberglass and also find out the hardware. Good Luck...
RayBoogie

Postby $$$ » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:25 pm

buy quinto and conga and she will be very happy ;)
$$$

Return to CongaSet and accessories