Heads on Mongo Santamaria congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby kerabe » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:33 pm

I'm going to buy Meinl Mongo Santamaria Congas, because there is almost no other brand at local market.It's true that there is another possibility - Pearl, but because they don't have any congas in their stores and I can't try how they sound, I'm afraid of disappointment although Johnny Conga speaks highly of them and I believe he likes them. But it's just thing of personal preference. The only problem I solve with Mongo Congas is that I couldn't find artificial heads fitting on them. I like much more natural sound and its feeling of touch, but maybe in future I will face at volume problems...
On the other hand..when I hear one of my favourite congueros Richie Flores with Caribbean Jazz Project, I Iike his attack, his clear sound.His heads (and hands) make good work.
Does anybody knows if there are Remo, Evans or another (?) artificial heads for Mongo Conga?

Kerabe
kerabe

Return to CongaSet and accessories