Conga that sounds like Quinto

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Simon B » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:01 pm

I've mentioned the size of my mitts before - yes they're too big for the quinto size of drum. Therefore I want to get another conga to serve as my quinto, so that I can retire my existing quinto or use it to my left in a four-drum set. What make of conga will do well when tuned high, and give me those nuances of sound that some peope say can only be gotten from the quinto size? Is is fair to say something like 'model X will strech beautifully and handle high-tuning whereas model Y will suffer adversely?'

Nb. I play Meinl Marathons

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:43 pm

I am not a conguero by nature but I noticed that what makes your sound is a combination of your techniques or the way you play, the head and the drum. Some people can get any sound out of any conga because they have developed the greates slaps and/or techniques. Some of us need some help....

A quinto will give you sharper tones than a conga would. However, you could get "sharp tones" with a conga too. It will depend how you tune it and again, your technique. In my case, a quinto will help me more in achieving a good sharp sound if that is what I want. Yes, they say smaller hands make better congueros. In some way, I started to believe it because I have big hands. However, I think you could work around it and develop based on your "tools." Practice, adjust, practice, practice...bingo!

I've seen people getting the sharpest tones with synthetic heads. (I just saw Marc Quinones with a Pearl Elite quinto and a Fyberskin head and his tones and slaps were great)! I've seen Giovanni with an old "barrel" and natural head getting some great tones. Be aware that currently there is a lot of high tuning in congueros for the sake of volume....

In some ways, is a trial and error until you develop a skill that you will "accomodate" to any drum or tuning....(That's my opinion....let's see what Johnny Conga or other experience congueros say...).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:16 pm

Simon B wrote:I've mentioned the size of my mitts before - yes they're too big for the quinto size of drum. Therefore I want to get another conga to serve as my quinto, so that I can retire my existing quinto or use it to my left in a four-drum set. What make of conga will do well when tuned high, and give me those nuances of sound that some peope say can only be gotten from the quinto size? Is is fair to say something like 'model X will strech beautifully and handle high-tuning whereas model Y will suffer adversely?'

Nb. I play Meinl Marathons

Simon B

I am wondering if you know that there are different head size "Quintos". Your size 11" conga drum for some people is a "quinto" then of course you have your smaller size "quintos". :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:09 am

RB is right..you can use an 11 inch conga head for a quinto. I personally own a Junior 9 inch quinto and I have kinda big hands too, but I can still play my quinto. It is also about technique and attack, but if you do have larger hands go with an 11 inch conga and crank it up!.....It will sound just as good as a real quinto....JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby rumbaman » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:04 pm

I play on meil exclusives and the quinto is 11" , the conga is 11 and 3/4 . You would have to find a 9 and 3/4 to use as a requinto i think if thats what your looking for . As for big hands what about ray baretto he has no problem .
rumbaman

Postby zaragemca » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:37 pm

I do agree with all responses,but would like to poit out,the factors in the sound of the conga for sharpening are,the body of the conga,the diamater of it, the tuning(how high),the callous in the congeros hands,the level of humidity in the place where you are playing,the cutting-attack used,the location in the conga-head you are hitting,and the floor(if.. it is down).But is the conga is on stage,the way the (mic) is setup, is going to affect not yours,but the perception of the audience,(crowd).

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 07 2003 at 15:51
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:45 pm

For me a drum is a drum is a drum. I can make an old beat up conga that has an old dirty beaten up skin sound good,because of "technique and style",2 things that need to be developed for playing a drum. As far as shape of the drum,that will determine the sound of course, be it a quinto or a tumba, or just a conga. ......At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...PS.Mr. Zaragemca..where are you located and who do you perform with?.......
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:00 pm

Yes Johnny,an experienced congero could find the sweet location in a conga,I have seen many times percussionists making a quinto out of a wooden beer case.I've been conducting research and training for Advanced Percussion Structures for 7 years now in Houston,Texas,also around here I've been playing anything, now performing with King Cobra Band,DreadNeck and other 'Salsa' Bands which sometime call me to jamm with them,and Jazz jamming at The Red Cat Jazz Cafe(the Headquarter of Jazz-Jamming in Houston).

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 07 2003 at 16:08
zaragemca

Postby Simon B » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:03 pm

Good to read your responses!

you can use an 11 inch conga head for a quinto

What is the definition of a quinto? Is it only a relative thing - i.e. the smaller central drum in, say, a two or three-drum set-up, whatever inch diameter that might entail?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby zaragemca » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:42 pm

The definition of quinto is in relation with the tuning of the others(conga and tumba),of course as smaller the diameter as easier to reach the high pitch which is the characteristic of that instrument.Note(even when on rare occassions sometime the rumberos would and smaller size(in relation to the quinto) which is called requinto.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 10 2003 at 22:46
zaragemca

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:20 pm

Simon B wrote:Good to read your responses!

you can use an 11 inch conga head for a quinto

What is the definition of a quinto? Is it only a relative thing - i.e. the smaller central drum in, say, a two or three-drum set-up, whatever inch diameter that might entail?

Simon B

..also you can look at "Quinto" in places like Puerto Rico and Cuba as the high pitch instrument playing intricate riff on top of the rhythm. Is interesting to note that also in "Trios" (as "Los Panchos) with accoustic guitars there is a small guitar called "requinto" with a real high pitch that function similar to "quinto" drums within the "Trio" context, lots of riffing. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby zaragemca » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:01 am

Yes the purpose of the quinto-player is to coordinate the communication which take place in the Guaguanco,first between the singer and the player,and later with the other Conga-Pattern.
zaragemca

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:44 pm

zaragemca wrote:Yes the purpose of the quinto-player is to coordinate the communication which take place in the Guaguanco,first between the singer and the player,and later with the other Conga-Pattern.

....also as JC mentioned in another post the "quinto" player like in guaguanco, columbia "quintea/repica/riff" the steps of a dancer. :)
RitmoBoricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories