stress cracks

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby rumbaman » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:11 am

This is the best place i think to ask this , has anyone experienced stress cracks on there quinto's . I have a pair of meinls exclusives and i take very good care of them , but i noticed that i have a stress crack on my quinto . Its a long but thin crack . Can anyone give me advice on what to do . Thank you
rumbaman

Postby tamboricua » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:40 pm

Hi Rumbaman, hope all is well! Does your quinto still under warranty? If so, get it exchange for a new one. Do you detune your drums after playing? By doing so you'll reduce considerably the stress on those shells. Also, never leave the drums on the trunk of the car under extreme heat or cold.

Couple of years back, I was representing and selling Hector "El Piernas" Rocha percussion line out of Colombia. I remember "El Piernas" always used a type of epoxy specifically designed for tropical weather conditions. According to him, it was the best stuff available on the market for fixing cracks and drum construction in general. Check with your local hardware store.

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on Nov. 03 2003 at 16:41
tamboricua

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:55 am

Yup epoxy will do the trick!! However, IMO hopefully the crack is not near the head? If so, whew thats good news.
It is a pain the staves crack up at the head.
Either way, try to clean out the area carefully, or it will get worse. Marine epoxy is good, try to get it "in" the crack as much as possible, or you are defeating the purpose. Then cover the area to create an overpath almost to the next staves. Just don't overdo it or the drum will take on a very
annoying ring. Be sure to work in a ventilated place, that stuff is toxic.
Good luck.
Tonio

Postby rumbaman » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:16 pm

Thank you ,Tamboriqua and Tonio for the advice . I think i'm going to keep this pair of meinls for the times I play for fun , and buy a new set of galaxy drums for playing in a serious setting . thanks for the advice
rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Return to CongaSet and accessories