Custom congas - "Skin on Skin" vs. Timba

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Mezcaldrum » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:03 am

Hi guys. Hey Johnny Conga I like your posts. I'm looking to upgrade my old congas to some wood congas. I'm playing quite a bit in a few bands and using my congas as much as my timbales.

I checked out the Timba factory and briefly tried a friends Timba congas, who plays professionally. I LOVED :p their sound. Warm, clean loud. I'd also call the sound very round. I remember also years ago having the same reaction to Skin on Skin drums by Jay Bereck in NY. (Same friend). Love the Timba but cost is way out there. Skin on Skin are almost half the price. Bereck also makes Cherry wood.

Questions are;
- Opinions on Timba vs. Skin
- Has anyone experience with Cherry wood drums? Jay says they're more stable in humidity but same warm sound with a little less volume than his oak drums, still great price. Timba sells them at an almost $200 premium, Jay $25.

Johnny, what say you? Thanks.
Mezcaldrum

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:46 pm

UM TOUGH CALL BRO....I like them both. I have played on them both, also and found them equal in a lot of ways. Problem with Jay is you have to wait 6 months for his drums and now he has moved out of New York city and moved upstate. If your closer to Timba and they are readily available go with them,I know u won't be dissapointed.....At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Mezcaldrum » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:11 pm

Thanks Johnny. I am leaning to Timba because of availability and the gorgeous finishes. However, the cost difference is about $200+ per drum for the Timbas! I could get Jay's and a bata.

What about the cherry wood drums guys? Any experience or feedback about them? A good wood. Both Skin and Timba make them.
Mezcaldrum

Return to CongaSet and accessories