Timba

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Tonio » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:48 pm

Anyone have opinions on the Timba congas? I hear they are the ultimate set. Traditional more than progressive sound?

T
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:16 pm

Timba is what you call a boutique or custom made type of instrument. I heard they used to e Gong Pops or something like that. I have seen their congas and they look sharp. They have the "traditional" Cuban look. They are expensive (that is without adding shipping...I do not think they are sold out there in many places).

Personally, I have seen a guy named Cachete Maldonado, who is one of the most revered congueros in Puerto Rico, endorsing their products. The sound of the congas is great...very traditional.

Cannot say too much about the bongos but look sharp in their site.
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:22 pm

Currently there is a trio of Timba drums,(quinto, conga, tumba), for auction at e-bay. Good luck!!!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:33 pm

tamboricua wrote:Currently there is a trio of Timba drums,(quinto, conga, tumba), for auction at e-bay. Good luck!!!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Hola. I saw them on ebay. Real Sweet! :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Tonio » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:37 pm

I have gathered that Timba was Gon Bops too! Are they in Nueva I mean New York?
Raymond ,I hear you about the boutiqueness of Timba, those prices are out there. But I suppose for custom it would be appropriate. I remmber before Gon Bops folded the prices were atronomical. But I did love my International models. I had a quinto 10 3/4" conga and 11 3/4" tumba. They were great. But I purchased some of the original fiberglass LP's when I was in Colorado, supposedly owned and/or used by Geraldo Velez? of Spyro Gyra. It was a good deal with the curved stand (that holds all three) and bags. Then I got some Skins on SKin's trying to get that Ray Barreto sound. They were great. Then I tried Toca's, Meinl. Lp traditional custom finish and LP Valje.

I think I need to find some GB's but they would probably need some work. Boy I miss the tone they have. Are Timba similar at all, me thinks not due to the shape of the drums. Gon Bops had a original shape, kinda bellied at a lower position.
Guess I'm babling now. LOL:p

T
Tonio

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:44 pm

Hi Tonio, Timba Percussion is based in California.

Timba Percussion

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Tonio » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:17 pm

Jorge,
Thank you for the link!! I knew it had to be LA, because Gon Bops was there.

Whoa, Victor Pantoja is still at it huh?

Tony
Tonio

Postby jgdmonteca » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:27 pm

I have recently purchased a pair of Timbas and I absolutely love them. Real thick cow hide heads for a very warm traditional sound. In ordering my drums, I was informed by Timba that they bought Gon Bop and have maintained there quality with some improvements. (i.e. oak wood, stainless hardware, and sealed wood on inside of drum). They are pricey, but I couldn't be happier. They were my upgrade from my LP classics. Now I can lug my LP's from gig to gig with out so much worry. I only use Timbas for studio work and home practice. They also offer different thickness of heads and a 3 different Tumba sizes (including a 14.5" monster Tumba.) Great company!!
jgdmonteca

Postby Tonio » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:01 pm

tamboricua wrote:Currently there is a trio of Timba drums,(quinto, conga, tumba), for auction at e-bay. Good luck!!!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Thanks Jorge, but I wouldn't purchase congas without playing them first. It is tempting though !!!
short on dinero anyway
:angry:
Tonio

Return to CongaSet and accessories