Toca Traditional, Meinl Marathon, or LP Matadors? - how do they stack up against one another

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Relachs » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:16 am

hey everyone,

i'm a newbie and it's great to see this site up and running. i've been searching for a good and knowledgeable discussion forum...this rocks.

anyway, i began taking conga lessons about a year ago and absolutely love it! growing up on latin music but never playing any instrument, i decided to take the chance and learn something new - and i have a great teacher who delivers the technical with the jamming.

I have a pair of Aspires, and am looking to upgrade a step or two - i would like to get an 11" quinto and 11 3/4" conga or similar. i have heard that Toca Traditionals and the LP Matadors are the best for the buck, however i've also read that Meinl Marathons are good quality. And...I've tried out the LP Performers series at guitar center and they sound really nice. they sound much better than the Aspires, contrary to what a couple of postings have stated.

My questions are: is one series better than the other? are they at all comparable? does one series produce fuller and deeper sounds than the rest? which of the quintos would produce 'tighter' opens and slaps? if my money is a bit tight, what is the best value i can get for about $400 total, for 2 drums? (although you can get the LP performers for $450 for 3 drums).

thans much and all best,
josh
Relachs

Postby kmmurrdog » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:37 am

I'm a relative newbie also, but here are my thoughts/experieces. I have a mix of LP's right now and a set of Meinl Marathons. The marathons were my first set, and I am still impressed with them. For the price, I think they are awesome. A local bar got some aspires for their open mic night, and I can tell you that the meinls are definately nicer drums. It just so happens that I'm selling the meinls now to help pay for some other drums. If you are interested, let me know. I could post a sound clip/pictures somewhere if you'd like.

I have a matador quinto also. I get some nice slaps from it and have been pleased overall with the drum (I'll be selling it too).

If had to rate these drums, I would say the marathons and the lp performers are about a one step upgrade from the aspires. I've never actually played performers...just basing this on things I've read. Matadors are probably a two step jump. I can't comment on toca...I have no experience with them. don't forget to add pearl elites to the mix (never played them either, but heard good things).

KM
kmmurrdog

Postby Relachs » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:53 pm

thanks, km, for the reply.

this begs another question that i should have asked in my initial posting -

is it better to have a conga and tumba rather than a quinto/conga combination if i'm limited to 2 drums??? for instance, a 11 3/4" conga and 12 1/2" tumba? i'm curious about what you all have to say on this.

thanks for your feedback.
relachs
Relachs

Postby Simon B » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:13 pm

Many people will say that quinto/conga is both the more traditional and the most adaptable pairing. BUT - hand size is important. If you have big mits like me (and many pro players too, e.g. Don Alias), you wil find that typical quinto width may well restrict your techniques slightly. Look for it - left-hand tilted at a different angle to right so it can fit on the drum, single stroke bass tones in which both hands feel almost off the drum. If this is the case get a conga/tumba.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Simon B » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:15 pm

In fact get Pearl Elites over the tree models mentioned - and I say this as someone who plays on three Marathons! The tones of the Pearls are powerful and really crisp.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Relachs » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:39 pm

thanks, Simon.

the pearl elites are a little above my price range - although i have placed a bid for a set of 3 new elites on ebay, and hopefully they will sell for no more than $500 for the complete set. if that's the case, then i'm there considering what people i've said.

by the way, has it been anyone's experience that the 11" matador is lower and deeper sounding than the other quintos that size? i just went to check one out and it didn't sound different from some of the tumbas...tuning perhaps?

thanks for all your feedback.

-relachs
Relachs

Return to CongaSet and accessories