Help - What should I do?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby kmmurrdog » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:55 pm

Here's what I have: Gio requinto (ash), '96 Galaxy Conga (North American Oak), and a Matador quinto (natural finish).

I love the requinto, and the matador is nice, but I’m not in love with the old galaxy conga. It has what seems to be a synthetic head, and the sound isn't great. I could just replace the head, but I have other issues as well:

1. I want a tumba.
2. I want a matching set of drums. When I put the three drums that I have together, I look like a circus act. I hate to sound superficial, but what the ####.

I was thinking I'd sell the galaxy conga and the matador quinto and use the $ plus some cash from selling my meinl's to buy a matching tumba, conga and quinto. I plan to keep the requinto though...I can handle one drum not matching.

My thoughts...the Gio's are overpriced. I can't afford to buy three of those. I was looking at Pearl Elites. Looks like I could get the set of 3 for about $600. I know Johnny loves em, but does anybody have anything negative to say about them? A guy at Guitar Center (who may be an idiot) had some negative things to say about them (nothing specific). How about if I keep the matador quinto and buy a matador tumba and conga? Is the 5/16” hardware a big deal? I like the fat hardware on the gio’s, but is it necessary?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also…thanks to all who recommended the Mano a Mano video. There is some great stuff in there.

KM
kmmurrdog

Postby yalla » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:56 pm

Hey kmmurrdog, what a strange mixed set you have! :D
Anyway, if I were you I'd sell the requinto and the galaxy conga and buy Matador conga and tumba - but it all depends on what kind of music you play the most. The set you already have seems to be shifted towards high pitches and "aggressive" way of playing, suitable for funk, rock or anyway non-ethnic, nor traditional oriented stiles.
In my opinion the quinto-conga-tumba set is more versatile and can be played in almost any kind of music where conga sound is needed. Let's say, if you need more aggressive, crackling sound you just raise the pitch, and there you go...
But that's just my 2 cents... :)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby Raymond » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:09 pm

The Pearl's are priced very nice. Giving the benefit of the doubt to all the endorsers Pearl is getting, their product must be of good quality or close to it. I do not have experience and/or experiences by other to tell about Pearl but again, is a good deal....

I trust LP because they have good products. Nevertheless, there are alternatives out there and you are free to choose.

The big question is what do you want to have.....(Believe it or not what you buy will affect you psychologically sometimes because you could have regrets because later you could have thoughts that you invested in something you do not actually wanted. Go with you gut feeling here and your pocket of course).
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:28 pm

Hi. I have a pair of Pearl Elite wood congas and they compare very favorably with LP Classics. I bought mine from Dale's Drum (a drum dealer in PA) on Ebay for $139.00 dollars each shipping included, it was a no-brainer to buy them, I have seen them priced in the $300 and some range each. As a matter of fact I think they have some for auction on Ebay still. On my part I do not worry too much whether my drums finish match or not, as long as the sound of each drum compliment each other. Happy Drumming!
RitmoBoricua

Postby kmmurrdog » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:23 pm

Another issue... My right thumb is giving me grief. I though it was a bone spur but the xray's didn't show anything. Anyway, the matador rim isn't great for my thumb right now. Am I a freak, or do everyone's thumbs come down hard on the rim with the slaps? The doc just told me to pad it. That was money well spent.

The Pearl's appear to have rims similar to the matadors, right?

The comfort curve rim is awesome...very little pain. I've been looking at the LP classics as an alternative. Expensive, but not as bad as gio's. How's $500 sound for a tumba and quinto?

gracias,

KM
kmmurrdog

Postby Raymond » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:42 pm

If you are hitting part of your thumb with the rim is that technically you are doing something wrong. (Don't feel bad some of us do no follow the correct and "proper" ways to play an instrument).

I am assuming, if you're right handed that the thumb you are talking about is the one in the right hand. If that is the case, you might be doing your slaps "wrong". Perhaps too close to the edge of the head of the drum and too close to the rim. That is the most common mistake made by some beginners because hitting close to the edge of the drum will give a sharper slap sound.

The way I was taught was that your right hand is slightly bent and that the palm of the hand is the one close to the edge sort of "embracing" the edge. Your hand is in essence bent in the shape of the edge. The part of your hand that is over the head is the one doing the slap and not your fingers. If you are hitting your thumbs when doing the slap, sorry, but definitively you are doing something wrong. You will need to learn the right way (which takes some time to get used to after you have been playing in certain manner for awhile).

Again, do not feel bad. We all tend to get problems in different parts of our hands depending on the bad habits we have or the way we play. For example, when I play traditional rims I tend to get a nice blister in the middle of the palm of my hand). My calluses are in the tips of my fingers instead of being in the middle of the fingers and the palm like I've seen with most congueros. (I might have a technical problem also.....)

The price for the LP classics sounds good. (Here in PR, for $100 more you get Matador and not LP). Like I said, you sound like you want LP. The nice price of the Pearl is the fact that is killing you. Get what you want.....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby kmmurrdog » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:57 pm

I guess, like most newbies, I need to work on my slaps then. Thanks,

KM
kmmurrdog

Postby kmmurrdog » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:44 am

Raymond...Thanks for your comments. I started all over with my slaps last night and with a bit of help from Bobby Sanabria, I think I'm on the right track. My finger tips are killing me now. Time to get calloused up.

And by the way, I went ahead and dropped a few bucks on a gio quinto and tumba. I figure I'll keep the old school galaxy conga and sell the matador and my meinls. With the requinto, i have a nice set of four now.

Any suggestions on replacing the head on the galaxy conga? It's a '96 drum, ad I don't kow what series the comfort curve rim is. Should I get in touch with LP?

KM
kmmurrdog

Postby Simon B » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:07 pm

Remember to moisturise BEFORE playing - it saves a lot of trouble later!

Simon B
Simon B

Return to CongaSet and accessories