Héctor Rocha Congas - anyone heard of them, played them?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby CongaCaja » Wed May 21, 2003 4:00 pm

Has anyone every come across these drums? I just saw a pair on ebay. Apparently, they are small-shop drums made in Cali, Colombia. The link below is the only on-line info that I could find.

http://www.caliescali.com/el_piernas.php3

Don't know if I would the pair currently on ebay w/o any prior knowledge of them. However, (since my girlfriend is from Colombia) I might be tempted to find this guy's shop during my next trip down there.

Anyway, I was just curious to hear of anyone's experience/knowledge.

Thanks again y buena suerte a todos.

chao!... chris
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Wed May 21, 2003 4:55 pm

Hi Congacaja, hope all is well! Hector Rocha better known as, "El Piernas", is an excellent drum maker. He has his shop in Cali, Colombia. Very famous for his "maracas salseras", but also make excellent and beautiful tumbadoras and bongos.
Check out some of his products:

]http://www.bongolandia.com/bongos.cfm?PageNum_getProduct=21]

]http://www.bongolandia.com/bongos.cfm?PageNum_getProduct=22]

http://www.bongolandia.com/bells.cfm?PageNum_getProduct=16

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Thu May 22, 2003 12:34 am

Thanks for the info Jorge!

Of course, my girlfriend believes that these drums must be "los mejores del mundo" simply because they are from Colombia. It does not matter that she's never drummed in her life, but those colombianas are very proud of their country. ;)

As I said, I don't think I'd buy them sight-unseen, but I might check out this guy's shop on my next trip down south.

btw, my computer with notation software has been down for a while. Over this weekend, I might find the time to fix it and input a few things of my exercises. I'll let you know.

thanks as always... :)

...chris
CongaCaja

Postby Raymond » Thu May 22, 2003 8:39 pm

I was given a bongo cowbell of outstanding quality and sound made by "El Piernas" (is nicely engraved in the bell).

I have seen people with some of their products and are pretty good. (I've heard in Colombia they could be had for pretty good prices. Normally his stuff is resold here in Puerto Rico by musicians who visit Colombia).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Sat May 31, 2003 4:51 pm

Hi CongaCaja, hope all is well! Currently there is a set of Hector Rocha tumbadoras for auction at Ebay. :0

Check'em out at:

Hector Rocha Tumbadoras

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on May 31 2003 at 17:52
tamboricua

Postby Conuno » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:46 am

Hi people, may be is so late to write about it, but anyway I will do it.
I know the congas of el piernas (HR), particulary I don't like so much, this drums are hand made, and some times that some technical problems. Their products were good recognized around 10 years ago by puerto rican musicians that came to Cali, but I'm not sure if actually their products continue ranked. Actually I live in Europa and have seen already congas (HR) broken out due to wetter conditions.
Let me tell you that in Cali there is another conga fabric, an personally I consider their products are much better than "el piernas".( quality and Sound ).The name of the fabric is Colombian percision and the owne is Gonzalo Piedrahita, I know the local is near to "el parque de la Caña".
When I was in Colombia, I played both "el piernas" and "colombian percusion", I prefer really the later. Actually I play in LP galaxy
Conuno

Return to CongaSet and accessories