Meinl vs. LP - comparison

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby rmajors » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:59 pm

Hey, this is something of a shot in the dark, but I have been playing congas for a few years now and am looking to move up to a professional level set. I've narrowed it down to the Meinl Pros vs the LP Classics, but don't know much about the Meinls since nobody around here seems to carry them. Anyway, does anyone have any buying advice, or will I just get a great drum no matter what for this price? Any help would be much appreciated.
rmajors

Postby Simon B » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:55 pm

Meinl Pros - they're the range up from the Marathon Exclusives aren't they?

Simon
Simon B

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:27 pm

according to meinl web site, the "pros" are listed just after their "mongo santamaria model". The only difference between these two top-of-the-line models seems to be the wood: monga is made of ash while pros are made of rubber wood.

http://www.meinl.de/percussions/perc_2_8_3.html

I've only got my hands on a Meinl once. It was not a nice drum, but it wasn't their "pro" line. It was a Marathon Exclusive model which I think compared very nicely to the LP Matadors that I have. The meinl was lighter in weight and heads didn't have the LP look (treatment?).

I've tried LP Classics (as well as Gio's) in a store. Nice drums as well. Since I have not tried the meinl pros, I can't directly compare the two lines... thus, I'm really interested to hear opinions/response to your question.

Just wish the Meinl were more easily accessible in the US. so that one could check them out. Anyone know a way to find local dealers?

Edited By CongaCaja on July 25 2003 at 02:38
CongaCaja

Postby rmajors » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:33 am

Yeah, from what I've seen, the Meinls mirror the LPs right on up the price list; Headliner = Aspire, Marathon = Matador, Pro = Classic, Mongo Santamarina = Giovanni (right down to the ash wood and gold tone hardware!), and Woodcraft = Palladium.

Anyway, here's another comparison question: how does the durability of the (3-ply) LPs compare with that of the (2-ply) Meinls?

And, lastly, that's a good point - is there any way to find local dealers? I live in the Seattle area, does anyone know any good stores? Thanks for all your help.

-Rob
rmajors

Postby Raymond » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:03 pm

Here are some inputs in my experience with Meinl......

Meinl, just like Pearl, is starting to make a move in the US market (that is after more than 25 years everywhere else). Their congas are pretty good. They started with their Marathon and have expanded to Artist Series-Mongo Santamaria to a new series called Professional Series. (There is a review that I saw in Modern Drummer that is in the Meinl site).

Their Marathon line, which is their original, is probably their best priced series and most popular. They beat LP Matador in my opinion and come close to the LP classics. They have an "odd" shape that I personally prefer it when playing seated. I like the "blue" of the Marathon Exclusives which is very good.

I have a catalog from them that mentions a Woodcraft series made of "special" woods that look like traditional congas (in the same manner as the "new" LP Giovanni Palledium) but they are not listed in their site (which is more for US purposes).

Meinl's advantage with LP should be their their price. Besides the Artist Series, their wood congas are made of rubber wood. Rubber wood is lighter and in regards to sound it has good projection. Just like LP has their siam oak as their main wood, Meinl has that rubber wood. I personally like their buffalo skins and hate LP treated rawhide heads. (I own a Meinl Marathon tambora that sounds much better than LP with one of the heads is buffalo).

I know various local Puerto Rico endorsers who, of course, recommend their products saying it has better projection and is better quality. I do not have Meinl's congas but have Luis Conte timbales and they are great besides somethings here and there.

LP customer services is better than Meinl's . I have been trying to get a part I need and I have not gotten a response from them yet.

If you do not have a local store that sells the Meinl, I will recommend to get the LP if they are more accessible. I am a "freak" of knowing I will get parts just in case. (In Puerto Rico Meinl has a good distributior that is the biggest music instrument store in the island. LP is everywhere but is been killed by Meinl here because Meinl is cheaper).

A seller of Meinl's is http://www.ajpropercussion.com in Tampa, FL. Check also E-Bay because they sell some of their Meinl stuff in e-bay at good price. I bought my Luis Conte Brass with them without knowing.

Good luck in your decision!
Raymond

Postby Simon B » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:25 pm

Yes I am intrigued to know what these 'Woodcraft' congas sound like, which as you say Raymond look very much the traditional barrell-like conga drum. The literature states they are hand-made in some Bavarian work-shop, all sounds quite folkloric, but from the Old World rather than the New! Who the #### buys them? No conguero I know has them, and none of us in the Congaplace Community seems to have encountered them! Are they just an imaginary marketing exercise on Meinl's part?
Simon B

Postby Mbalax » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:46 pm

My friend Jose bought a pair of meinl´s woodcraft Quinto and Conga at the same time that i bought the Mongo Santamaria artist series, and i love the two series. I preffer the sound of the woodcraft, especially i love the slap that sounds like the drums of Tata Güines ( of course the Mongo series sounds good, excep little overtones) also the buffalo skin of the woodcraft is so rough, I love them but it hurts a little. Finally i preffer the mongo´s confort rim more than the tradicional rim of the woodcrafts, and I preffer the look of the mongo´s although the woodcarft have a very nice cuban tradicional look that is pretty.
I dont understand why Meinl dont make more woodcrafts!!!! is a very good drum.
Personally I bought Meinl because there was in special offer, i think that all the drum manufacturers have very nice drums and the choice more related with your personal preferences of look and sound more than the technical features.
Aché.
Dani
Mbalax

Postby Mbalax » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:54 pm

excuse my poor english writing. ;/
Dani
Mbalax

Postby congahead » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:35 am

Hi,

I would recpmmend saving up and buying the best drum you can afford,. I would suggest the LP GALAXY range. Either the Giovanni or the Sparkle (fiberglass).

I have the full set of each, and find they motivate me to practice so much more as the tones are intoxicating.,

I prefer the fiberglass GALAXY congas to anythin i have ever played. and i have played the meinel stuff too. :D
congahead

Postby Raymond » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:40 pm

I do own a set of Galaxy Fiberglass and is an oustanding drum. However, some people do not like the "Patato" style of the conga which has a small mouth or bottom. Therefore, some seated players complain they do not get the full sound of the conga. If I recall correctly, Patato and Galaxy are 30 inch taller and not 28 like every other drum from LP. (LP makes the Galaxy series, Giovanni's and Fiberglass, in the same shape of the LP Patato. I am not sure but I think the Accent series is also made in the same shape).

I went that way of getting the best when I purchased my congas. However, I sort of regret it. I would have gotten a great quality sounding LP classic or Salsa Model or Traditional Fiberglass for close to $300 less. (Right after I bought my Galaxys LP came out with their 35 anniversary special conga which were traditional fiberglass with a special "light blue sparkle" finish and I could have had the full set, quinto, conga and tumbadora for the same price of the Galaxys I purchased). One good thing that makes me feel good about my Galaxys is their Kevlar material that makes them a stronger drum but besides that I could have gotten more for my money.
Raymond

Postby congahead » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:49 am

raymond,
you did the right thing, dont regret it. The 35th anniversary series are basically identical to the accents range, which is the same shape as the GALAXY. However all the harware is thinner.
The galaxy harware is much stronger, taking a better beating and holds in tune easier. I have a set of the 35th anniversary in bongo's the blue sparkle looks nice. but the hardware really is no substitute for the galaxy. The Patato range is the same dimension in the shell, but the fiberglass is thinner than the galaxy and therefore the tone is much different.
you can do so much with the galaxy.
congahead

Return to CongaSet and accessories