LP Valje congas - ... any comments?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby yalla » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:13 am

Hello! I never got the possibility to test LP Valje congas, and I was wondering if any of you masters could tell me something about them, if this would be a good set to buy since I don't like high pitched, ringing congas, but I rather prefer thick and fat sounds, more "traditional". I already own LP Classic quinto and Conga. Is there really a big difference?
And what about Valje against Toca Traditional series?
Excuse my poor english.. and thank you!! :)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby rahalak » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:38 pm

I have a set of LP Valjes and I like them very much. I think they are under-appreciated. I do notice some ringy overtones when I'm playing alone in my room, but I never hear it when I'm playing with accompaniment. I should mention, all the drums have their original LP heads (2 are 9 years old, 1 is 3 months old.)

Are they significantly different from LP Classics? That's a hard call -- they're different for sure, but whether its a significant difference, one that you'd prefer, I can't say. I'd say the tones are richer on the Valjes, but the slaps are not as crisp. But that could be my playing. And of course the heads are an important element of the sound of any conga.

If at all possible, you should try to play some before you buy, but since they are no longer made, that could be hard to do.

Hope that helps.
Chris
rahalak

Postby yalla » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:59 am

Thank you rahalak! I didn't know that LP discontinued Valje congas, yesterday I carefully checked the online catalog and found they are no longer there... so I guess it will be very hard to find a set around here - in Italy there would probably be one or two shops who could have a set in stock, but very far from my town. I posted the question because I found a set of Valje (new) sold on-line. The main question is that I want to add a tumbadora to my quinto+conga, and I was wondering if it could be a good idea to sell the ones I have, and buy a new set. And that's where my second question comes: would a set of Toca Traditional match same quality? (apart of sound personal tastes) - there is a set in a shop here...well, the really main question is ... budget... I found a used LP tumbadora (exactly the one to match mines) and the price is about the same than the difference to buy the mentioned Toca set (selling in my quinto and conga to the shop).
Well, sorry for the long post, any answer will be highly appreciated.... thank you guys!!! :)
yalla

Postby rahalak » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:53 pm

Yeah, LP discontinued the Valjes at the beginning of this year. The one I just got was made for me after they had depleted their remaining stock.

The Toca Traditional was one of my fallback choices if I had been unable to get the Valje made. They seem pretty nice, especially considering the low price. But it seems like I've seen it mentioned in this forum that a couple owners of the Traditionals have been less pleased with their drums after having them for a while, or am I imagining that?

It's nice to have a matching set, but I don't think it's a big deal if you have a mixed set. It's what you play and how you play it that counts.
Good luck
Chris
rahalak

Postby yalla » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:40 am

Thank you Rahalak! :D
Yes, I agree with you, it's what and how you play that counts. Well, in the same shop I can also buy a RhythmTech Alpha series tumba which I think can match LP classic... OK, I think I will bring my set to the shop and play it together with both RhythmTech tumba and Toca set... then I'll decide.
Seeyouthenext! :)
yalla

Postby yalla » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:10 pm

And.... what about adding a Toca Traditional tumba to my LP Classic quinto and conga? Would it be a good idea? Any comment... please....
Thank you! :)
yalla

Postby muddy323 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:01 pm

any tumba would be a great addition to a set...make sure they are the same height
muddy323

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:09 pm

yalla,

hello. I just wanted to let you know that the original Valje's were made in a San Francisco drum shop since the 1950's. LP bought the Valje name when that shop went out of business. The link below will give you more history.

http://www.solpercussion.com/history.html

One of the craftsman that worked at the Valje shop now works at a new SF drum company called "Sol Percussion". They have several different products but one of their conga lines resembles the old Valje design. However, the hardware has been redesigned.

http://www.solpercussion.com

Since I live in San Francisco, I visited this shop a few months ago. It's a small operation which really does hand craft the drums...even the hardware. The owner Akbar is a nice guy who took a lot of pride in showing me how they build their drums. Personally, I don't own any of their drums but I had my drums re-skinned by Akbar and he did a great job.

best of luck... cjk
CongaCaja

Postby yalla » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:58 am

Thank you very much CongaCaja for so much info!
It's always interesting having any info on drums, even though I live in Italy so I cannot take any actual advantage from it... :p
Well in the end I will keep my old LP Classic quinto and conga and try to choose a tumba to match them (both in look and sound) - but I will have to wait until I have some more budget :(
By the way, there are few handcraft congas makers in Italy, you can take a look at VR percussion, just to get an idea: they make very high quality drums with the best woods, the drums are carved from single pieces (and not made with dowels), heads are the best you can get... but the prices are unaffordable!!! They even make congas with internal mic system ready: you have a conga with a cable coming out from the shell, you just plug it into the PA and you're ready... but I never tried such a system, do you think it can work well?
BYE :D
yalla

Postby yalla » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:00 am

Sorry the mentioned link is wrong... this is the correct one: VR percussioni check it out and let me know your impressions...
BYE
yalla

Return to CongaSet and accessories