wonky ring?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Roryboy » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:42 pm

hello all,

a couple of days ago I took the skin off my conga thinking that the skin I had ordered from my local music shop would be of good quality. It deffinately was not, it was terribly thin in fact so I told him to send it back. I then had the task of remounting a head for the first time. I think I did ok but there is a slight lean to it now. It isn't level - will this do any damage to the conga if I leave it for 2-3 weeks whilst i order a new skin or should i put it level as soon as i can?

thanks
rors
Roryboy

Postby Roryboy » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:16 am

come on guys, 16 views and not one reply, thats disgraceful, its a simple question.......
Roryboy

Postby Raymond » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:46 pm

I am not sure if I understanding your situation....The head you are trying to put in the conga while you wait for the "new head", is the old one? Is the issue that you mounted the head? If you could explain a little bit more maybe I could tell you my experience.

Anyway, the only possible situation I see with a head that is not mounted correctly or uneven in regards to the rim and/or the head is that if you tune too much one side, one side could give up. It will depend on your tuning. With congas, since they do not require very high pitches like in bongos, normally is OK because you will not over do the tuning. (Hopefully, I understood your question)

Saludos
Raymond

Postby Roryboy » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:09 pm

Hi raymond thanks for your reply

yes, i think you understood correctly, I have mounted my origional head and now the rim is about 1cm higher on one side. From the information in your reply I think it should be ok for a couple of weeks, until the new skin arrives.

thanks again
rors
Roryboy

Return to CongaSet and accessories