Rubber feet for congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby nasaisgramps » Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:16 pm

Does any one know where I may be able to find rubber
feet for congas? I've tried several sites with no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.-nasaisgramps :D
nasaisgramps

Postby DJAnyStyle » Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:46 am

Latin Percussion - lpmusic.com

Enjoy!
DJAnyStyle

Postby CongaMan » Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:47 am

moved to a similar topic....
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Laurent Lamy » Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:27 am

:0 What is a rubber feet?
Laurent Lamy

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:00 am

Well, the rubber feet make your drums stand appr. 10cm higher from the ground in order to get the bass tones while playing seated. Three rubber feet are connected with a string. Quite useful stuff, although a bit unsteady on carpeted floors.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Laurent Lamy » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:42 am

;) Thanks Mike!
Laurent Lamy

Postby nasaisgramps » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:39 pm

Hey people I found them thanks to "djanystyle".
The site is lpmusic.com. I thank all for the help.
PEACE.-nasaisgramps :D
nasaisgramps

Postby congabebe » Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:43 pm

I must comment. I was really excited about getting rubber feet, until I got them. They look and feel like they would stay where you put them on the drum. Everytime I put them on they shift/slide to the lowest part of the drum before I can put the drum the floor. So then I have to bend over to push them to equal and opposite sides of the circle. Plus, you move the drum on the floor an inch, there you go again adjusting. Plus, the drum rocks and if the feet are not positioned correctly the drum could fall to the side. This would be the second drum, if I am sitting with it between my knees, then there is no problem cause I am holding it steady, but the second drum is at risk. I have dreamed up many plans to try and correct the feet from moving and so far nothing has been do able. Any ideas?

Thanks,
congabebe
congabebe

Postby 120decibels » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:53 pm

Congabebe,

I have had similar difficulty. I like the idea of the conga feet. I bought them for my segundo and tumba. I hold my quinto between my legs. I have found that once I get set up and my drums are where I want them, things are okay. However, the adusting time is a pain.

Before I got the LP rubber feet, I used some short dowels to tilt the conga and tumba a little bit. This made the drum a bit unstable, but I found that if I played with some control and if the dowels were not too big in diameter, this worked well. The same goes for the conga feet, which when placed correctly, leave my drums more stable than they were on dowels.

I think my biggest problem with raising the conga and tumba specifically and my playing in general is that I try to play too hard. I have learned to rely more on amplification and it has saved my drums, my hands, and my ears (when practicing). It has also allowed me to relax and play with more finesse, speed and endurance.

Sorry about the little personal aside. All in all, I like the idea of the conga feet. I'm not going to give up on them yet. They could use some design impovement, but that would make them cost more than ~$15 per drum.

I guess you get what you pay for. ???

That's also what you get when I put in my $0.02... :D

Zach
120decibels

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:05 pm

I must say that I also was somewhat surprised that the conga feet (from LP) did not fit more tightly. They do tend to move around rather easily.

Another option is to get a low-profile stand like this one from Toca

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/drumstu....are.htm

Interestingly, I saw Raul Rekow with Carlos Santana last weekend and he seemed to metal feel that held his drums low and even help his quinto at a slight angle away from his body (the angle that many maintain with their legs). These looked really cool, but I'm sure they're more expensive than the rubber feet from LP.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:31 am

:D Hey guys just try some serving trays under your drums,the kind they use in bars or restaurants .U can get them for free from any bar or restaurant,and they help the sound a great deal and they work great on carpeted floors, I have been using them for years when i play sitting down. Not only that but they make good conga covers as well when u bag ur drums..."Try it you'll Like it!".....At your Service ....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:14 pm

Johnny,

How does a serving tray help the sound? You're getting the drum up off of the ground, but you're still blocking up the hole in the bottom of the drum! From a purely theoretical standpoint, that should sound better than carpet, but not like really getting the drum clear of the floor.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

You have the experience, so I'll respect that at least until I understand and I've tried it.

Zach
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:34 pm

Hi Zach.....Actually the tray acts as a "sound rebounder"it projects the sound off the tray and up thru the head of the drum. the sound bounces off the tray back into the drum.A carpet will "stifle" the sound and the only other thing that would help is a wooden plank under the drums. Acoustically it sounds great ...I'm telling you to try it. Some trays have cork on them but that is ok too. Most are made from plastic. It's a trade secret of mine......At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA..PS if you have them on stands and still playing on a rug put the trays directly underneath the drums the sound will still bounce off the tray and come back up, instead of dying in the carpet. Trust me I know of what I speak...... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:41 pm

Here is another tip --You NEVER play ur drums with them flat on the floor, except for your tumba . The quinto should always be tilted to ur left or right at an angle so you can hear the sound come out of the bottem.Your legs should also be wrapped around your drum,for lifting purposes when and if you decide to palm it for that heavy bottem sound,but it takes practice and strength to lift a drum. Always lift from your ankles with your knees holding the drum. So you wanna play congas huh....smile......Mongo had a hip operation from lifting his drum for so many years but that came from his way of playing, he sat very low in his chair and tilted his drum towards him with the bottem out, I don't recommend this way of playing. the drum should be at just about above your navel when sitting and your arms at 90 degrees at the elbow. Hope this helps....at your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby DJAnyStyle » Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:33 pm

Fellow Congueros! I have read a bunch of posts on the + & - of the Conga feet. I do like them very much, if you keep your congas situated in one spot. If you move them around, they require adjustment at the base each time you move them.

They DO allow the sound to flow and protect your floor, though...

In any case, there is a new pair for sale on eBay for anyone who is interested.

Visit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....5....=1]http

Practice, practice, practise - all of your life!

DJAnyStyle ;)
DJAnyStyle

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories