Rubber feet for congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:46 am

:D HI GUYS BEING THAT i AM A PEARL ARTIST .THE PEARL ELITE DRUMS COME WITH RUBBER ON THE BOTTEM OF THE DRUMS TO PROTECT THE WOOD AND CUT DOWN ON "VIBRATION", THAT YOU WOULD GET BY HAVING THEM ON THE FLOOR. THE TRAYS ACT AS A SOUND REBOUNDER SO THE SOUND COMES OUT OF THE TOP OF THE DRUMS ALSO..SHALL WE GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??... ;) At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby congabebe » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:44 pm

Rubber feet blues. I have been brain storming on options that would make them better. Home remedies. The need to stay in place and be connected. What about copper tubbing for pluming and some clamps on both sides of each rubber foot to keep it in place. Copper tubing like for a water line for your refrigerator icemaker thickness? This tubing can be bent to a half circle and might be rugged enough to flex but stiff enough to stay? Or some electrical wire for houses is stiff and would do the same thing. I put knots in the string on my set, didn't help. Or Rubber hose cut in sections that fit around the bottom of the drum? Of course Johnnys suggestion is a great one. I have got a video with Brad Dertz, he talks about using a piece of plywood under the conga... same thing, tray would work better in this case. I don't have access to serving trays, but I have seen some gas or electric burner covers for a stove that may work and they are round. Put some rubber or carpet on the bottom, to keep it from sliding. Just dreaming up ideas.

:p
congabebe
congabebe

Postby DaBid_Son » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:34 pm

I just came accross this web site that has an "adaptation" for the LP Conga Feet. It looks pretty easy to make. I thought everyone might be interesed.

http://www.iwaynet.net/%7Ebjacoby/page8.html

It appears that this would certainly prevent the feet from moving around the base of the conga.

David :)
DaBid_Son

Postby rahalak » Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:29 pm

How about just jamming a book of matches in between the conga feet and your drum to keep 'em in place? Do it on the inside of the drum if you're concerned about appearances. ;-)
rahalak

Postby congabebe » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:33 am

David,
If LP only knew what they needed to do. I think that looks pretty stable and reliable. I think who ever designed that adaptation is an engineer in the traditional since. My Dad is like that. He can make and design things. Blows my mind. He is a drummer and he has made cases, and stands, etc. I was going to suggest one of those covered wire cables that they have an Home Depot that you can tow with. They make them in different thicknesses, but that still would flex and move. The match stick idea is not going to work either. It would slide and start a fire before it would stablize the conga. Thanks for sharing the link.

chow,
congabebe
congabebe

Postby rhythmisit » Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:19 pm

You guys are wasting your time with rubber feet from LP, they may only work in some cases, mostly I have heard complaints about them that they slip & slide. It is just badly designed product. I made my one time investment in buying low profile basket 'Sit Down Stand' made by Toca. They are made with heavy black wrought iron and available in all sizez 11", 113/4" & 121/2 etc. They even allow you to keep your congas tilted if you want. Congas stay about 4" to 6" above ground. I know they will last me for this life time. They are available at musicity.com for 23.95. If you can't get them there try discountmusic.com for 29.00, but definately a great investment unless ofcourse you want to try serving trays like JC recommends. I would not question his experience and knowledge, it may work like he says. Anyways check them out at this site if you want to see what they look like.
http://www.musicity.com/percussion-15.html

PS : I am getting better at tuning - after I detune every night, I can retune them all in 10 minutes flat. I am happy with this progress.
rhythmisit

Postby KingKongas » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:22 am

Totally agree that the rubber feet are a waste of time. Unless you have your drums in your house that you'll never "move" them and play them pretty much without moving them they are a waste! They do lift the drums up and they do improve the sound. But the headaches arent worth it. I use baskets that were originally made for "stand-up" playing. I forced the rings down far enough (be CAREFUL)that I have them at a height that I can sit and play (my personal preference). Now they are not that pretty to look at since the second ring fits below the vertical slats (hard to describe) but they do not move or rattle and I can play with recklessness. Add a piece of hard rubber or neoprene to the area where the bolt heads are located and you should have no problems. It wasnt easy figuring out the right position for the rings so that all the conga heights are the same (I have 3 congas). Trial and error got me the right combination. Before I sign out I have to give my wife props for figuring that part out after several unsuccessful attempts at it on my own!
KingKongas

Postby J.Peters » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:05 pm

Pearl has also some nice stands, u can use for playing both ways. I Love them on my Remo Tuff-e-Nuff set......

see them on : http://www.pearldrum.com/01_pperc/PC_900_lrg.jpg

When i have to travel light i use the LP rubber feet, but i changed the set in 3 in stead of 4 feet.
J.Peters

Postby nasaisgramps » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:44 am

Hope all is well and everyone's had a good New Year thus
far. Have enjoyed the posts for the rubber conga feet.
They are a pain in the neck sometimes but they're all I
can afford for now. The ones that Toca have out look great
and they seem to do the job as well. Also the ones from
Pearl look as though they'll do just fine too. If anyone comes
up with a good way to snug them up a bit (rubber conga
feet) without having to cut them up please let me know.
Thanks to all who put their 0.02 worth, greatly appreciate
the info. Keep the faith. Y pa' lante siempre. :D
nasaisgramps

Postby rahalak » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:15 pm

I have LP's rubber feet and I have to say I have no trouble with them whatsoever. I put them on and they stay right where I put them.

However, I will add that I have LP Valjes with the rubber ring on the bottom. That ring adds about a quarter inch or so of thickness at the point where the feet grasp the drum. So I would suggest that you find something about 1/4" to 3/8" thick to wedge between the drum shell and one prong of each rubber foot.

Seems to me like that should work.

Although I've never tried it, Johnny C's cafeteria tray alternative sounds like a simple solution as well.
rahalak

Postby pidoca » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:09 pm

G'day mates. I have used the rubber bracket that attaches the muffler of your car to the underside of the car body. there are many different shapes and you can cut slip in the to fit snuggly onto the bottom of your congas. and they are as cheap as chips. you may have to experiment as to how many you use. i found the 4 thin shaped rubber support is a good compromise between stability and muffling the sound.

c ya

pidoca
pidoca

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories