situations for wood and fiberglass - CongaSet and accessories

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby michaelangelo rosario » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:54 am

Hello all your congueros out there. Im a leader of a jazz group and i play all the hand percussion... i think all working percussionist should have 2 sets of congas.... when i am working in a small intimate dinner room/cafe environment where there is a wood floor i use a pair of Pearl Elite wood congas.. a conga and a tumbadora. i think that wood congas sounds better with the acoustics . When i am playing more in a larger venue such as an out- door arena or in a cabaret with a carpet stage then i go with my L.P. Patato model fiber-glass congas with the Remo nu-skyn.. my 3 drum setup is 2 congas and a tumbadora. heads .. i tune one conga up a little high and the 2nd conga normal and my tumba low. this drum work very effectively in this particular situation , the sound is bright and they really cut through , i don't have to mic them as well i feel that the Quinto is not needed in a latin jazz or straight ahead jazz setting.. i am very influence by Chano Pozo and later Ray Barreto i tune my drums low to bring more support from the bottom for my bass player and my trap drummer.

mucho ache!
michaelangelo
michaelangelo rosario

Postby rhythmisit » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:21 pm

Thanks for sharing info. I have Remos with NuSkyn, happy with them. After trying various tuning I finally liked the C major tuning for all three. Tumba on low C, Conga on D flat above and Quinto on G. Granted they are all on lower pitches but this way I get more response from the heads slaps, bass etc. NuSkyn responds better when tuned on lower scale and as I use Djembe in my set up as well I have more variations that I can try. I am planning to buy spare Toca heads for all three which I can interchange when I need instead of buying three spare congas. :D
rhythmisit

Return to CongaSet and accessories