Causes of Strong Overtones - Questions about Tuning and Equipment

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby CongaCaja » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:48 am

So, I drove my matador drums (conga & tumba) to the Sol Percussion shop (couple miles from my place in San Francisco) to be re-skinned. Although I was getting a good sound out of those drums, I didn't care much for the texture of the stock heads from LP.

The owner, Akbar, was very helpful and gave me a loaner drum (so I can continue practicing) while he re-skins my drums. Nice, huh? Anyway, I brought home one of the Sol congas which have different shape than the Sol Rumba models (which are similar to the Valje drums). http://www.solpercussion.com

Why am I telling you all this? First, to report that the hardware on these drums is really cool and the drums are really hand-crafted in their small shop in San Francisco.

Second, I am finding it quite difficult to get an open tone sound that I like from the drum. Granted, it could be my lack of tuning experience, but over the last few months I have been getting a nice sounds from my matadors. With this Sol drum, it seems that the second overtone (roughly, an octave and perfect 5th above fundamental in a imperfectly harmonic drum) is incredibly strong. Within the range of the drum, some fundamentals reduce this overtone but it is always strong. This gives "ringing" or thin open tone ( although the bass tones tend to quite deep and nice! )

So, what's different between this drum and my drums? I'll make a list and I like to get opinions regarding what might be a cause.

1) cow hide vs. buffalo
gee, I hope that's not the case, because I'm reskinning my with cow!

2) thinner skin on the Sol

3) shape : the Sol shell decends almost straight down from the bearing edge before tapering to a smaller diameter at the bottom. the matador are more barrel shaped. (btw, the Sol Rumba drums have the Valje shape...the loaner is not a Rumba model)

4) 5 lugs on the Sol vs. 6 on matador

5) anything that I forgot?

6) my inexperience ???

Sorry for the long, drawn-out posting, but I am curious because these are one of the options that I was considering for a future purchase. thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

chris
CongaCaja

Postby Raymond » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:33 pm

You are forgetting "break in". Natural heads tend to require break in. Some more than others.

Your former heads had probably a "break in" based on the way you play them and tune them that the new ones do not have yet.
Raymond

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:50 pm

Raymond,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the loaner Sol drum was not new. It seems to have been around the shop for some time and fairly well-used. Thus, I don't think "break-in" is a factor with this drum.

chris
CongaCaja

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:56 am

btw, the new cow skins that Akbar of Sol Percussion put on my matadors are nice. They need break-in time but they feel, sound and look good.

cjk
CongaCaja

Return to CongaSet and accessories