Conga Head - Metal rings

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby rhythmisit » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:46 pm

Anyone know where can I find the metal ring for mounting conga head skin for 11", 11 3/4" & 12 1/2 sizes. I want to mount my own heads from goat or calf skin. I have traditional hoops on my congas. ???
rhythmisit

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:43 am

Hi. Use the ring on the head you want to replace. It's a good idea to keep the ring. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby 120decibels » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:30 pm

Hey Rhythmisit!

I highly reccomend mounting your own skins. Ritmo is right, if you're current head's rings are not bent, use them. You'll have to soak the skins to get the ring out.

If you're current head's rings are bent, you might want to get new ones. You can get new skinwires from the drum manufacturer (even LP will sell them to you) or you can get them from another source. The key is to make sure that the skinwire will fit perfectly inside the rim of the drum. An African drum maker might be able to help you find skinwires.

Good Luck!

Zach

Edited By 120decibels on June 27 2003 at 09:30
120decibels

Postby rhythmisit » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:15 pm

Thanks guys. I am going to keep my original NuSkyn head, they are fine. I just want to make new head for my Quinto using natural skin so that I can add different sound when I need. Although I am happy with NuSkyn, I begin to realize that natural skin like Calfskin or goatskin or Bison has that special texture of sound which you would never get using synthetic. So I am looking for new skinwire alltogether. I will contact my conga manufacturer Remo. I already have instruction on how to mount my skin. If I am successful I might make heads for Conga & Tumba too.
rhythmisit

Postby 120decibels » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:07 pm

rhythmisit,

If you can't get one from REMO, don't give up hope. Drop me an email and I can give you at least one contact that might be able to help you out.

Zach
120decibels

Postby fabrizio » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:28 pm

Hi, if You will come in Italy for vacations call me and I'll give You all the rings You need (gratis): I'm a smith. Nice to help You, Fabrizio. fabriperc@libero.it
fabrizio

Return to CongaSet and accessories