Meinl 'Live'

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Simon B » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:12 pm

A percussionist friend of mine has just acquired a quinto and conga, Meinl 'Live' range, which he thinks is about fifteen years old. Dark teak-coloured heavy wood, traditional rim, really thick skins (quinto skin is twice as thick as his LP Classic conga skin) which crinkle around the rim like my Bauer bongos. The quinto sounds fantastic, much better than my Marathon series and better than my friends LP Classic too. Anyone remember these drums?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby 120decibels » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:41 am

I can't say that I remember the congas, but I do own a set of Meinl "Live Sound Series" bongos. They are really heavy, but they sound great. I primarily use them on a stand when I can't play w/ bongos between my legs.

I compared these bongos to some others. I think that they sound as good as LP Generation II's, but not as good as my JCR's.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Postby Simon B » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:29 pm

Meinl's higher range drums seem very mysterious. I'm just looking at the catalogue: a lot of people know the Marathon series congas but there are a number of models priced higher and which in the company's literature are made out to be more exclusive than the Marathons. I mean there's the Collection Series, the Mongo Santamaria endorsed Artist series, and the Woodcraft, made from 'German Sessile Oak', 'handmade in a traditional Bavarian factory' (even though they are mainly based in Thailand). Who buys these ranges? A little like LP Peraza model. Generation II are popular but hardly anyone seems to have the Perazas. Being willing to manufacture these top-end, low-selling ranges is welcome as far as I can see and not apparently as market-driven as these companies might sometimes seem

Simon
Simon B

Return to CongaSet and accessories