Conga Heads - Natural skin

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby rhythmisit » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:26 am

Anyone knows where can you find pre mounted natural calf or goat skin conga heads for traditional rims at reasonable price?

;)
rhythmisit

Postby 120decibels » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:02 pm

I don't know about pre-monted skins, but I'd encourage you to mount your own. If you've got the inner hoop from your old head and it's not too warped, you can do this. It takes patience, but the end result is very satisfying.

The problem with buying pre-mounted skins is that they must fit the rim of the particular model drum that you own. For example, an 11" quinto head for a traditional rim on an LP drum might not fit an 11" quinto made by Meinl.

If you need some sources of good unmounted skin, send me an email.

Zach
120decibels

Postby Raymond » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:51 pm

Personally, I do not mind pre mounted heads. Yes, it could be a hassle if the conga used to mount the head is "slightly" different than your conga but I think you could work with it. As long as the "basic" size is the correct one you should not have too much of a problem accomodating the head. After you get it in there is just a matter of playing with the tuning and the rim.

For me, mounting my own heads is more of a hassle. Plus I am afraid of wasting money on the procedure. (The best recommendation I could give you, and I personally do not do it but is recommended by a lot people at the instrument stores, is take the rim with you to the store).
Raymond

Return to CongaSet and accessories