conga heads one more time

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Seb » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:47 am

I have a question about new natural skins , I just made the transition from Fiber heads on my 35th Anniv LP's to all natural skins , they sound great , my question is do skins take time to seat them self's on the drum will a new skin begin to sound differant after a month or so ? also I'am getting new natural skins for my Afro's , I'am just through with fiberskins , I have been through the ringer with them and now that I been playing with natruall skins they sound very cool so thanks for your time your friend and Player sebastian FunkyConga man ;)
Seb

Postby Raymond » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:44 pm

Natural skins always need a little bit of break in. (That will ocurr every time you play them, tune them, etc, etc). them). Therefore, yes, the sound of your new heads will eventually "hit a peak" and change their sound after playing them for awhile (The tuning is important here too. You should no "overdo" the tuning or leave the heads tuned after playing with them because if not your head will become "deaf" or lose their sound. (We call here in Puerto Rico "deaf heads" the heads that have lost their "peak sound" and you could not get a good sound out of them).

That is the reason there are some people who do not want to part with their already "broken in" heads (or cowbells in some instances).

Edited By Raymond on June 06 2003 at 18:47
Raymond

Return to CongaSet and accessories