Want to buy my first set of congas - I am new and need a recommendation

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby WannabeeConguero » Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:26 pm

I want to buy my first set of congas. What to buy. I don't want to spend more than 300.00 since I am new at this.
Love music and want to expand my horizons.
Any recommendations on what to buy. Thanks a million ???
WannabeeConguero

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:30 pm

:D First I would go to E Bay and see what used drums are for sale. Second I would look for a pair iof Matadors(wood) .Good middle of the road congas for a beginner with a pro feel. Reasonably priced...That is my recommendation. At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby congabebe » Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:27 pm

I got mine off ebay. I check daily to see what's out there. If you are patient, save up to about $500, you can get a good set that is better than the student models. I wanted to stay below 300, and you will find that the ones that are 200 + are student lines (10 to 11 inch heads) and not as good. I saw some Matadors for $475 (buy it now/no stand) that is a good deal. I looked at the shape of the drum, the fatter ones I think have a better sound, so the head sizes 11, 11 1/2, are going to be a bigger more mellow sound. You will pay about 60 to 80 for shipping and then there is tax depending on state. Toca is always cheaper than the LP's. I have seen 2 or so set with bongos go for 300 +, depending on model. Check out Musiciansfriend.com, they have some good deals and they are close to what you will end up getting on ebay. You will find there are lots of vendors on ebay. I got mine from AJ's Percussion Shop. He has good deals, and he is great to deal with. Good Luck.

Congabe
congabebe

Postby CUBOP IN CALI » Wed May 28, 2003 11:15 pm

Hello ,I just ordered the Pearl Elite Quinto and Tumba from Music123.com paid $410.00 for both and shipping was free.I think it was a good deal.
Here is there price's:
11 inch Quinto (Natural) #104635 view 3-5 Days
(notify me!) $469.00 $279.01 (59%) $189.99

12 1/2 inch Tumba (Natural) #104637 3-5 Days
(notify me!) $539.00 $319.01 (59%) $219.99

11 3/4 inch Conga (Natural) #104636 3-5 Days
(notify me!) $499.00 $299.01 (60%) $199.99

Cubop
CUBOP IN CALI

Postby kmmurrdog » Wed May 28, 2003 11:45 pm

I hadn't played my Meinl's since I got my LP Gios, but last night I cranked up my Meinl quinto just for kicks and was pretty pleased with the sound. I got my Meinl Quinto and Conga + basket stands for ~$300 plus shipping off of Ebay from AJ's if I recall correctly. I haven't ever played LP aspire or matador series, but I suspect the quality of the Meinls that I have fall somewhere in between them. That's my .02.

Good luck.
kmmurrdog

Postby Raymond » Thu May 29, 2003 2:35 pm

Like we have mentioned here before, you decision is to either go with a "beginner/mid level" set or a pro set. The price range of your budget sounds like beginner/mid level set. Although, have to admit there are some midlevel sets which are as good as the pro set for a little bit above your budget but that are worth it.

The problem with getting a beginner set is the heads "odd sizes" that they come which are not the same as some of the mid level or pro sets. The heads they come with are not sometimes the best quality and quality heads in those odd sizes are difficult to find. If later you get serious on your playing and want to sound/look pro you will have to get rid of your beginners congas and buy/get the pro. The recommendation by most us here are to go for the "gusto" if you are serious, therefore, get as close as you want to a pro set.

The LP Matadors are pretty good because is actually LP top of the line congas with a "lower but not that lower quality" hardware. However, I think $300 for a Matador conga and tumbadora is going to be difficult to get even on an used set.

Meinl have their Marathon series congas which are price pretty good. That deal up there for Pearl Elite is also excellent as long as they are pro size congas.

Good luck in your search....

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to CongaSet and accessories