Replacement Natural Skin Sources - alternatives to the drum manufacturer?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby CongaCaja » Sat May 17, 2003 9:49 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for natural skin replacement heads? I'm considering replacing the skins on my LP Matadors in the near future. While I know that I can buy the "Hand Picked" heads from LP, I am wondering what alternatives might be available. ???

I personally don't want to do much preparation. Thus, buying flat skins and mounting in on a ring is a bit more than I'd like to do myself. I would prefer some ready-to-mount heads w/o need to worry about size/fit.

My teacher has some nice almost-white opaque heads on the practice drums in his studio...they feel real nice. The texture is soft despite the tension and they sound good as well...however, I keep forgetting to ask him about them during our lessons. :(

Lastly, why is that all the heads on LP drums are semi-transparent while the heads on other drums (Pearl, Toca, Meinl) are not?

My thanks in advance for any info or suggestions. :)

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Raymond » Mon May 19, 2003 2:45 pm

LP does something to their heads that they are clear. (I have a hunch that they "clean" them or treat them). LP heads require break in because of the clearness. Once you start tuning them, they start turning white or beige and the sound improves as you play them, if ever. (Their sound is opaque and is a trial and error in regards to the sound you expect). Personally, I do not like them. I cannot explain scientifically or technically why, but I buy heads that are not clear and I do it based on the thickness. With that kind head I had the experience that break in is little or non existant.

In the US, the alternatives are little or non existant because LP is probably the only "mass produced" head carried by most music stores. Here in Puerto Rico, that people tend to have more alternatives, we have the alternative to get already mounted heads that are not clear and are "white or non see through". These heads are not treated with the exception that the "hair" of the animal is taken out.

Where are you from? Maybe you should go the stores that specialized in "latin instruments". Through the internet?.....Well, the problem, at least with me, is that you might not get what you want....Check with your teacher, he might have a contact that could get you the type of head you want...
Raymond

Postby CongaCaja » Mon May 19, 2003 7:12 pm

I live in San Francisco, CA. Thanks for the advice in regards to checking for a latin percussion specialty shop. I will check into that. However, I just wanted to get some opinions from multiple sources/areas (aka the beauty of the internet)

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby rahalak » Mon May 19, 2003 8:12 pm

Since you are in San Francisco, I would suggest you talk to Akbar at Sol drums. He can mount some good quality skins on your drums for a reasonable price. Check out his web site--

http://www.soldrums.com

Chris
rahalak

Postby CongaCaja » Mon May 19, 2003 10:14 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the "sol" link and info. I'll check into that.

cjk
CongaCaja

Return to CongaSet and accessories