LP Galaxy Update! - Received the Drum...

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby kmmurrdog » Tue May 13, 2003 6:42 pm

Apparently LP made the galaxy out of Oak at some point. Here's a link to an image:

http://murraytribe.com/images/conga/conga.JPG

and to my requinto:

http://murraytribe.com/images/conga/requinto.JPG

I'm a little dissapointed that they don't match, but I am happy with the quality and sound of the drum, which is all that really matters. Thet don't look that bad together.
kmmurrdog

Postby Raymond » Wed May 14, 2003 3:03 pm

Definitively, they do not match. Two different types of congas

I'll be concerned if they charge you "Giovanni" prices. I was totally unaware that they made a Galaxy in oak. Watch out! Hopefully, they did not alter anything in the conga you received, i.e, adding badges or hardware, etc, etc.. (I'll check with LP anyway so you could get right info).
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed May 14, 2003 3:11 pm

kmmurrdog wrote:Apparently LP made the galaxy out of Oak at some point. Here's a link to an image:

http://murraytribe.com/images/conga/conga.JPG

and to my requinto:

http://murraytribe.com/images/conga/requinto.JPG

I'm a little dissapointed that they don't match, but I am happy with the quality and sound of the drum, which is all that really matters. Thet don't look that bad together.

Hi. You can always have it restained a little darker and then I bet you they will match. I just finished restaining two of my LP congas and they just look great. ;)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on May 14 2003 at 16:45
RitmoBoricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed May 14, 2003 3:17 pm

Raymond wrote:I'll be concerned if they charge you "Giovanni" prices. I was totally unaware that they made a Galaxy in oak.

Hi. That's what it gets me about this, just because it has a plate that says Giovanni they charge you at least $100 extra. I have seen Aspire congas made out the same wood as the Galaxie/Gios. Some of this tactics make you really wonder. ??? Saludos!
RitmoBoricua

Postby rahalak » Wed May 14, 2003 3:59 pm

Wait a minute. Before people start trashing LP's marketing tactics, or this particular seller's honesty, refer to the original post. It sounds like kmmurrdog bought it used, from a private seller, who DID NOT claim it was a Giovanni. When kmmurrdog asked, the seller said he didn't know if it was a Giovanni, and he said there was no Gio nameplate on it.

Just trying to keep the facts straight.
Chris
rahalak

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed May 14, 2003 5:18 pm

rahalak wrote:Wait a minute. Before people start trashing LP's marketing tactics, or this particular seller's honesty, refer to the original post. It sounds like kmmurrdog bought it used, from a private seller, who DID NOT claim it was a Giovanni. When kmmurrdog asked, the seller said he didn't know if it was a Giovanni, and he said there was no Gio nameplate on it.

Just trying to keep the facts straight.
Chris

Hi. I do not think anybody is trying to trash LP's market tacticts. On my part all I'm saying is that it's a fact that the same exact drum would cost you more with the Giovanni nameplate than without it. I do not think the nameplate is going to make it sound or make you play it any better. Peace ;)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Raymond » Wed May 14, 2003 6:31 pm

I second "Ritmo Boricua". LP has excellent instruments with also excellent quality. Here is the concern of purchasing under certain facts, paying for "those facts" and later getting something else. Of course, we do not have all the facts and we are just "speculating". Just trying to help..... Hey...Forrest Gump said it..."sh.. happens'!

Saludos.
Raymond

Postby kmmurrdog » Thu May 15, 2003 11:07 am

I talked to LP. This oak drum is a first series Giovanni (02/96). According to the rep, North American Oak got to be too expensive, and they got a good deal on "environmentally friendly" ash, and that is why the switch was made. He said the Oak actually makes for a much stronger drum.

I believe there is much more to these drums than just a name plate. I have only my Meinl Marathons to compare them to, and the gios are definately more solid, better sounding drums. These are by far the best sounding congas I have ever seen in person.

Might I have been just as happy with a set of Matadors? Maybe. But I wouldn't have a requinto. And at $600 for the pair, I don't think I did that bad.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else make a nice requinto?
kmmurrdog

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu May 15, 2003 11:49 am

Hi, if you are happy with your drums that's all it matters. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby tamboricua » Fri May 16, 2003 5:55 pm

Hi Kmmurrdog, hope all is well. I remember those first Generations of Galaxy's wood drums(Oak). Back then, they weren't even called Giovanni Series, this was when Alex Acuña and Luis Conte were still LP endorsers. This first generation of Galaxy's wood as well as their fiberglass counterpart, were reinforced with kevlar in their top part of their shells. On the wood drums the kevlar was making too much pressure and the shells started cracking. Many of those cracked LP Galaxy drums ended up at Tito Puentes restaurant in New York as barstools. Customers who returned their cracked Galaxy's were recompensated with a set of LP Classics (Conga & Tumba), plus a Generation 2 bongó. After couple of years of wood research they came out with their Ash version an introduced them as the Galaxy's Giovanni Series tumbadoras.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on May 27 2003 at 23:06
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 16, 2003 11:55 pm

For everybody's information Galaxy's were originally the Ralph McDonald model in fiberglass,which were produced in the early 80's as Ralph was making headway as a studio percussionist and Marty Cohen wanted to have a named drum for him. They were very heavy and thick fiberglass drums that had a lot of sparkle to them. They also just said "Galaxy" with no name attached. Gio gets paid by LP for his name on those drums and that is nothing but business. You would want to get paid to if your name was on anything......At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to CongaSet and accessories