coloring congas - staining idea

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby yoni » Thu May 15, 2003 8:30 pm

Hi all,

RitmoBoricua mentioned in another thread that he re-stained some drums. This reminded me of a fun staining project.

Once had a pair of nice wooden CPs, but got tired of the high gloss and almost white oak...
So I sanded the surface some, but not right through the acrylic. Heads and tuning screws removed (before sanding), I sat the drums upside down (head ends down), on newspaper on the floor. Dusted them off. Opened a can of dark brown woodstain (I forget which brand) and poured some just around the outer edge of the smaller hole at the bottom of each conga (this hole is now at the top since the drum is upside-down). Just let some pour out in a circle. And let it dry.

The effect is wild - I ended up with chocolate flames on my congas. Each drum had its own "picture", but the "tie-dye" effect was the same, so they matched great. I long since sold those congas, or I would send a photo. It may have been a polyeur-based stain that bonded well with the acrylic, not sure now, but this idea works well with most any kind of paint. Got to credit my pops for it - he did it on some plastic flutes he built. I dug how it worked even better on congas. If you have a drum you want to experiment with, give this a try and give your drum your own look.

later,
Yoni

Edited By yoni on May 16 2003 at 10:05
yoni

Return to CongaSet and accessories