LP Galaxy - Giovanni?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby kmurrdog » Sun May 11, 2003 8:49 pm

Has the Galaxy series always been Giovanni's? I should have asked this question before I bought the drum (it's in the mail now). Things I know: it's a 11.75" wooden LP galaxy and it has gold hardware. There was no picture of the drum available, and the seller told me that he was not sure if it was a giovanni (I strongly suspect this person was not a percussionist...first time I asked what color the hardware was, he told me brown...I later explained what the hardware was and found out it was gold). Thoughts? I have the gio requinto and am seriously hoping that this is the matching conga.
kmurrdog

Postby Raymond » Sun May 11, 2003 11:19 pm

Don't worry if it is Galaxy and wood, appears you have the matching conga for your requinto. They are all Giovanni's .

The Galaxy series of LP started to be a conga and a bongo in fiberglass and it was to be their premier conga/bongo series. The conga was to be modeled about their succesful Patato series which a tall conga with a wide body and small mouth. The special thing about this series when it came out was the fact that the fiberglass shell had a kevlar lining inside. Kevlar is the material used for bulletproof vest. Highlights or reflective "sparkles" that vary colors when light hits the drum are also feature in the drum. Also, the second generation comfort groove rim was introduced with this conga. (Originally, the rims and the hardware were to be gold in all the models, however, some of the drums could be found out there with silver/chrome rims and hardware. LP features in their web site only their gold hardware models and in black. I have seen them in all types of colors like red, blue, grey, etc, etc. These colors are hard to find sometimes.)

Years later when LP wanted to have a conga in the name of their superstar endorser Giovanni Hidalgo, they gave him a Galaxy series drum which was and is still is their premier line of congas. (Right now, they have an Accent series which is practically a Galaxy series conga with special printing in the conga).

However, instead of siam oak like their other congas they used as material american ash wood in the new Galaxy wood congas. The form and features of the congas were like the fiberglass Galaxy congas like gold hardware, Patato style, etc. etc. The Giovanni line offered the same quinto, conga and tumbadora and in addition, apparently as requested by Giovanni, also a requinto which is a 9 1/4 inch drum. (LP introduced a Galaxy fiberglass requinto this year). A bongo with the same material, ash wood, was introduced also called Giovanni and Galaxy. (I think LP offers the conga and the bongo in chrome rims and hardware also).

Around three or four years ago, LP introduced a new type of rim for the galaxy series which make them special in regards to synthetic heads. I am not sure if it is the same for natural heads but is something to be aware when you buy any type of Galaxy series conga. Personally, I have a Galaxy in Fiberglass with the original rim and I bought them when the new rim was introduced, however, mine was from the "old batch" and is not the new rim.

Both the fiberglass and wood Galaxys are priced about the same. The fiberglass models were very succesful at the beginning and I know as a fact that LP gave out a lot of Galaxy fiberglass congas to their endorsers at the beginning with special plating on them to promote their series. There are a lot of Galaxy fiberglass still been used. However, lately I have seen a lot of people going with the traditional fiberglass congas and/or wood congas. The Giovannis, well, I have not seen that many people with the them out there gigging. (The gold hardware is something a lot of people do not like because it requires constant cleaning and maintenance). The drums are like the Patato models which are famous for having a "sharp tones" because of their small mouth. Personally, I always like the sound of Patato models. The bongos have not been able to overdo the wood Generation II in sales which are priced lower. Nevertheless, the whole series are great drums.

You bought an outstanding drum. Enjoy it!
Raymond

Postby kmmurrdog » Sun May 11, 2003 11:26 pm

Raymond,

Thanks for the background info! The only thing that worries me is the fact that the seller didn't know if it was a gio. Perhaps the gio head badge has been removed? Or perhaps there was a line produced without the head badge? We'll see. I'll update the post when I get the drum. Hopefully it will be soon...I have a gig on Saturday and I would like to get to know the drum before I take it out.
kmmurrdog

Postby Raymond » Mon May 12, 2003 2:07 pm

Since their introduction, I know the Giovanni Galaxy have been improved, re-improved, LP has developed new things around them, etc. etc. Some subtle changes have ocurred in the congas and I know they are various. One of things that have changed or improved could be the "Giovanni badge". (I think they come with a badge in reference to Giovanni).

Once you receive the conga, take a look at it and if you want to verify your "generation" of Giovanni, check with LP customer service. You could e-mail them and they provide good customer support in regards to question about their products. (Well,,that was when LP was alone. I do not know if under Karman they are keeping the good service).
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 12, 2003 2:39 pm

Raymond wrote:The special thing about this series when it came out was the fact that the fiberglass shell had a kevlar lining inside. Kevlar is the material used for bulletproof vest. Highlights or reflective "sparkles" that vary colors when light hits the drum are also feature in the drum.

However, lately I have seen a lot of people going with the traditional fiberglass congas and/or wood congas. The Giovannis, well, I have not seen that many people with the them out there gigging. (The gold hardware is something a lot of people do not like because it requires constant cleaning and maintenance).

Hi. I see quite a few percussionist using the fiberglass Galaxy with the sparkles/glitter/metal flakes finish. IMHO that's the best looking conga drum out-there today. The wood Gio's look ok. I saw a guy very recently played the Gios on this gig and to me they did not sound any better than any other quality conga out-there. I am still trying to figure out beside the name and price what made the Gios so special. ;)
RitmoBoricua

Postby REQUINTOFUNK » Mon May 12, 2003 4:40 pm

you will definitely recieve a "Galaxy LP conga drum from american sh wood to gold hardware". but the fact remains is that LP made the galaxy ash wood congas with gold hardware before putting Giovanni Hidalgo's name on it..so you might have a limited "manufactured" galaxy conga.......if thats a positive for you.dont know...good luck y que sigue la rumba
REQUINTOFUNK77@HOTMAIL.COM

"SI NO SABES,NO TE METAS,
SI NO HAY CLAVE,RESPETA"
REQUINTOFUNK

Postby Raymond » Mon May 12, 2003 5:06 pm

The ash wood is supposed to be a "harder" and more durable material than siam oak. (Ash wood is used for baseball bats). In regards to sound, I have not noticed a difference. (Personally, I do not like the "greenish" finish in some and the uneven look of the wood plies in the conga).

The use of Galaxys by some of the artists in salsa today have decreased. I noticed from the beginning that people like Jimmy Morales and Eddie Montalvo among others that I have seen had theirs but I have seen them lately with new sets of traditional fiberglass congas lately and not Galaxys. Not that many here in Puerto Rico. A complaint I have seen is the "small mouth" in the conga making hard for playing while seating.

In regards to good looking congas have you seen Meinl Marathon with the special finish, ala Accents from LP? (I think they are in wood). Some look very good specially some brown ones I have seen.

Edited By Raymond on May 12 2003 at 18:09
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 12, 2003 5:34 pm

I Think if you go to the congahead website and see the pictures from willie colon rehearsal you see eddie montalvo playing what it looks like fiberglass Galaxy, Plus I have seen pictures of clubs gigs in NYC and quite a few people play them. Jimmy Morales used to play them in Puerto Rico. The fiberglass to me are so elegant now the wood Gios I just do not like that much. To Me Fiberglass Galaxy Are It! :)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on May 12 2003 at 18:41
RitmoBoricua

Postby kmmurrdog » Mon May 12, 2003 5:35 pm

I can't really comment on how much better a gio sounds that many others...I'm still fairly new at this. I do know that the gio requinto sounds much better than my meinl marathons. I also know that there isn't much chance that I would pay full price for a gio. I got the requinto and the conga right around $300 each. In contrast, my set of meinls cost ~$300 with stands. Is the set of gio's worth double the meinls? The jury is still out.
kmmurrdog

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 12, 2003 6:46 pm

Hi. You know that at least 50 percent of the sound is on the heads. I owned some Matador items and all I have done is upgrade the heads and they sound great. I knew in many instances the difference between LP and Matador is in the hardware, heads and the price. But is no doubt you can make Matador sound like LP specially the congas and bongos. I think Marc Quinones, Bobby Alllende and Richie Flores are Pearl endorsers. I tell you the Pearl Elite congas natural color are just gorgeous, pretty drum. There are a lot percussion companies out there giving LP a run for their money, you can get quality percussion instruments at reasonable prices although I must admit I am LP biassed. :)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on May 12 2003 at 19:49
RitmoBoricua

Postby Raymond » Mon May 12, 2003 10:42 pm

[Didn't know about Marc Q. and Bobby A. making the switch]

Yes, to my surprise Marc Q and Bobby A. made the swith to Pearl about a year ago. The way the relationship of them with Cohen was, it was difficult to imagine...but it happened. (Somebody said...chisme...! I didn't). If you noticed reference to them in congahead and LP sites was gone overnight!

Pearl I think have not made good use of them yet. (My opinion). There was not an announcement, just a "flash pop out" in the Pearl site for about a couple of days back in March 2003! (Also, some small announcement I found in Pearl's forum the hardway back in June last year). But nothing else. If you look now in the site there is no reference. (I subscribe to modern drummer and drum and have not seen anything yet)

Sorry and with all due respect, Johnny C, but Pearl needs to get in the marketing in the US and specially here in the Caribbean and these two cats, which are respected and emulated by a lot kids just starting are good "tools" to market their percussion instruments. (Have to admit I am a big fan of Marc's work).

Also, theyr need to provide good info and emphasis about their percussion line in their site. Meinl and LP's site are way ahead of them. (I guess percussion is a "second class citizen" in Pearl's site for obvious reasons).

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on May 12 2003 at 23:45
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 12, 2003 10:55 pm

tamboricua wrote:I did know about Richito Flores, Anthonny Carrillo, Robert Vilera, and our own forum member Johnny Conga, were endorsing Pearl Percussion. Didn't know about Marc Q. and Bobby A. making the switch. Little by little LP is loosing their top endorsers. Trusting the Leader?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Hi. I would not doubt that Marc and Bobby probably were victims of the merge between Kaman and LP. Also that merge tells me that LP was feeling the pressure of the competition. They may have a hot commodity in their hands once again with the Giovanni portable conga. I do not think their Giovanni's, Tribal, Santana, Valje lines did too well, their traditional lines of timbales, congas, bongos and bells kept them afloat in my honest opinion, plus their Aspire line has sold very well too. Companies like Meinl, Toca, Pearl, Remo have closed the gap tremendously and some may have even surpassed LP specially in the quality at affordable prices. At one point LP was basically the only name in town and could get away with high prices on their stuff but not now. More and more companies want a piece of that pie, which is all good to me, competition should lower the prices. Saludos Boricua! ;)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on May 12 2003 at 23:56
RitmoBoricua

Postby RayBoogie » Tue May 13, 2003 1:50 am

I wasn't aware that Marc and Bobby left "LP" to go with "Pearl". I know for a fact that Marc and Bobby was really close to Martin Cohen. I wonder why they opted to go with Pearl?
RayBoogie

Postby Insider » Tue May 13, 2003 2:21 pm

For those wondering.....word of mouth, not official word, says that Marc and Bobby left LP because they were left out of the LP endorsers emsemble that did the Montvale Rumba CD and other congahead and LP events. Also, because other LP endorsers like Luisito Quintero and recently out of jail Little Johnny Rivero, a good friend of Martin way before perhaps than Marc and Bobby, who were getting more attention by LP than Marc and Bobby.

There could be more...but who knows. Appeared Marc and Bobby were like sons to Martin specially since you could find them all over the place in Martin Cohen's Congahead site. The movement was unexpected and took everybody by surprise.

Ooops...know you know!
Insider

Return to CongaSet and accessories