buing my first conga

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby jakob » Wed May 07, 2003 9:05 am

hello...
welll... I've been playing djembe now for about a year and I've decided to buy a conga drum... i thought if you could help me a little... I was thinking about some Remo congas like sparkle (ce-1100) or the Poncho Sanchez model... and I'm just going to by one (at first), not the full set... It would be really nice if you could tell me about your experiences with remo congas...
and should I buy tumba as the first drum rather than conga?
any hints are welcome...
jakob

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed May 07, 2003 10:57 am

Hi and welcome. If I were you I would buy a conga (11" 3/4") if I am only going to buy one drum for now. I think a wood conga with natural skin head would be the best choice for a beginner. Them Remo Poncho Sanchez, fiberglass with fyberskins heads are super loud with lots of overtones in my honest opinion hardly a beginners drum, I kind of look at fiberglass congas as specialty drums. Go wood first my man, Happy Drumming! ;)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Raymond » Thu May 08, 2003 3:22 pm

The new Remo's "Tuff Enuff" Poncho Sanchez are beautiful congas. I believe they are made of "accousticon" the "wood" material Remo uses in their drums. Yes, I recommend get the conga (11 3/4). I do not know how they compare in prices with let's say a LP Matador Conga or a Meinl Marathon or Pearl's Elite. The "head" they come with is Remo's new synthetic Nu Skyn.

If wood or fiberglass.....I like fiberglass for a lot reasons, among them their "durability" but have to admit wood is the best material.
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu May 08, 2003 4:02 pm

Hi. I, Owned a 11" 3/4" Poncho Sanchez conga made out of that "accousticon" with fyberskin head and they are way louder than wood, they actually sound like fiberglass to me. Mine has the Fossil Fantasy finish, gorgeous looking drum but a very loud one too. :)

Edited By RitmoBoricua on May 08 2003 at 19:09
RitmoBoricua

Postby CongaCaja » Thu May 08, 2003 9:38 pm

hi jakob,

I think I would agree with RitmoBoricua when he recommends "a wood conga with natural skin head" for a beginner. First reason: natural skin is the most common material so getting a feel for that is a good idea. Second reason: many people have said that the Remo synethetic heads will have lots of overtones (recordings on Poncho's instructional CD confirm this). These overtones might make it more difficult for a beginner to get a good sound. Admittedly, the Remo drums look real nice but they all come with those synthetic heads.

Personally, I bought my first 2 drums last year (LP Matadors) and they have served me well. I ordered them from a store in another state and got approximately a 40-45% discount from the list price. So, don't need to go broke in order buy a quality drum.

Also, I have heard good sounds from wood Meinl drums, however it seems that less stores carry that brand. I have only seen Pearl and Toca models in the stores and they were poorly tuned, so can't offer an opinion on those.

Best of luck to you...

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby door » Fri May 09, 2003 9:39 am

the meinl marathon series are great to start, here in belgium they are easy to find (because it is a german brand I think).
I started too with these congas, your sounds are easier to find at that conga than on a LP galaxy are something I think too it's because the overtones. It was very strange for me when I changed from my meinl's to remos. I think it s a good idea to practise on different congas for practising your sounds, than you can change easier on other congas when you need to play on congas who are not from yourself.
less is more
door

Postby door » Fri May 09, 2003 10:08 am

now I play too on remo, and I see that the durability from my wooden meinls is better than the sparkle finish of my remos.
less is more
door

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri May 09, 2003 10:27 am

CongaCaja wrote:hi jakob,

I think I would agree with RitmoBoricua when he recommends "a wood conga with natural skin head" for a beginner. First reason: natural skin is the most common material so getting a feel for that is a good idea. Second reason: many people have said that the Remo synethetic heads will have lots of overtones (recordings on Poncho's instructional CD confirm this). These overtones might make it more difficult for a beginner to get a good sound. Admittedly, the Remo drums look real nice but they all come with those synthetic heads.

Personally, I bought my first 2 drums last year (LP Matadors) and they have served me well. I ordered them from a store in another state and got approximately a 40-45% discount from the list price. So, don't need to go broke in order buy a quality drum.

Also, I have heard good sounds from wood Meinl drums, however it seems that less stores carry that brand. I have only seen Pearl and Toca models in the stores and they were poorly tuned, so can't offer an opinion on those.

Best of luck to you...

cjk

Hi. You hit it right on the nose Conga Caja. I tell you them Remos have all kinds of overtones and for a beginner I do not think they are the right drums. To me wood and natural heads are a must when you first start, to get to know the right unadulterated sounds of the drum. Here in my neck of the woods none but none of the music shops stock any fiberglass drums at all, wood congas are selling like hot cakes. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 09, 2003 3:12 pm

In my opinion those drums made for Poncho were made so he wouldn't have to hit them as hard. That is why they sound so loud. but that is my opinion. I still can't get used to "artificial" skin. It just doesn't have the feel for me. I did about a week ago play on a remo Poncho conga that was tuned very high and it sounded ok, I was actaully surprised by it.But I wouldn';t buy one. I still endorse Pearl Elite congas anyway. Maybe one day they would allow me to design a drum. Ummmm.....i can see it now........At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;) :D
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri May 09, 2003 3:38 pm

Hi Mr. JC. You would think that before they design a drum they will get advised from pros like you that have been in the scene for decades. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby yoni » Fri May 09, 2003 4:16 pm

Hi Ritmo, Johnny, door, Caja, Raymond and all...

Johnny Conga, I bet your opinion is right about the "loud" design of the Sanchez drums, probably designed so he wouldn't have to hit them as hard. Haven't seen them yet, but tried other remo drums with the artificial skin and they surprised me also, and did get a loud sound. But I still like the feel and sound of natural heads and wooden congas. I've had three old fiberglass LP Patatos for years, tumba, conga and quinto, and mounted flat gonbops heads on them (I think I was told they are steer skin). The fiberglass sure has more volume, but I miss wood congas again - the warmer sound - no fiberglass "over-ring", and strangely enough I find that wooden congas have a bit more "give" - I mean, after a while, my heavy fiberglass congas almost feels like I'm hitting stone or something, compared to wood. The lightweight fiberglass drums of today seem more "user friendly".

But I still like the "real thing" and want to get some good wood congas again someday soon - and JC, I understand you want to get some good fiberglass congas now also. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side!
:D

My old man used to try to get me to build my own drums, and I did it once or twice, but could only make a couple of drums with "straight" sides, not the belly that's found in congas.
yoni

Postby kmmurrdog » Sun May 11, 2003 11:18 pm

Jakob,

I followed a similar track...started on djembe, loved it, and decided to branch out. I started with a set of Meinl Martahon Classics (http://www.meinl.de/percussions/perc_2_8_7.html) which I think are pretty decent drums, especially for a beginner. I still consider myself a beginner on congas, although I've been a percussionist for over a decade. Based on my experience with a Remo djembe, I think their manufactured hardwood and snythetic heads lead to a lot of overtones. I think it is very important to get a drum that produces "true" tones from the start, which is why I agree with the rest of the crew that you need a a wooden drum with a real head.

I recently picked up a gio requinto and have a gio conga in the mail. If you haven't picked up a drum yet, let me know...I may be looking to let my Meinl's go. Good luck, whichever way you go!
kmmurrdog

Return to CongaSet and accessories