convinced on skins

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby sebastian » Mon May 05, 2003 1:10 am

I have been ful circel with skins , I have tried fiber and nuskins , eveans and remo also fiber skins by Lp but I have been convinced that natural is the way to go , I have begun replacing my heads even on my fiberglass drums back to natural skins. I sat in with a funk band , I used thier players set which was fiberglass drums with natural skins and even though it was loud music , the drums were heard and such a great sound . I have realy had my challege with skins and beleive me I tried every combo , over a couple of years and now have switched to natural skins. I'm in the process to buying skins for my Afro's , but my other set's of congas (wood and fiberglass) have been switched and I'm very glad and the sound is great , I have a gig on Thursday night bring my fiberglass drums and know they will be heard. will thanks for the time
sebastian

Postby Raymond » Mon May 05, 2003 4:42 pm

Agree with you..nothing like natural skins. Synthetic skins have an advantage that perhaps are suitable to do with some of the "hazzles" associated. These are the advantages:

a-Heads are not affected by temperature conditions.
b- Tuning and un tuning is not required. (Head does not lose sound if kept tuned).
c- Gentler to your hands than natural heads.

If you hate trying to deal with those factors above and are willing to sacrifice a little bit in sound then synthetic heads is the way to go.

The sound of synthetic heads is OK but not as good as natural heads.
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 05, 2003 10:41 pm

Hi. I think just like wood and fiberglass congas have applications where one is better than the other same thing goes for natural and synthetic skins. If you play with a loud band like Santana you will be better off with fyberskins on fiberglass congas, now if you playing a gig with "Pacheco and Su Tumbao" you better off with natural skins on wood congas. I have some fiberglass congas with fyberskins and they are super loud, now I have natural skins on my wood congas they just sound sweet and warm, the sound I really love. Take Your Pick or like they say back home "Pal' Gusto Los Colores" :)

PS: Have you guys seen that new Giovanni Super Tumba size 14", I just have to say woooow!

Edited By RitmoBoricua on May 05 2003 at 23:45
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue May 06, 2003 1:28 am

I once had a 15 inch Gon Bop tumba made to order, it was a smoker. black with silver bands. Me olvido ese tipo in Puerto Rico who used to make 14 15 inch tunmbadoras, I want to say "CasaMerica" congas. I haven't seen the Gio version. I'd like to hear that one..... :0 Booooooooooooom!.......JC JOHNNY CONGA....... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Tue May 06, 2003 3:35 pm

<Me olvido ese tipo in Puerto Rico who used to make 14 15 inch tunmbadoras, I want to say "CasaMerica" congas>.

Johnny, are you talking about Ismael from Timbas Ismael? I have bee told he used to make very good "custom made" barriles in unusual sizes that people cherish a lot. He died several years ago. Their son and wife still run his shop in in Bayamon, Puerto Rico and still make some of them.. I visit their shop once in awhile.

Saludos
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue May 06, 2003 4:13 pm

Hi. I remember them "Monstrous" congas Mr. JC is talking about, they were quite popular in Puerto Rico in the mid to late 70's. A friend of mine in Puerto Rico had a set made and I believe back them he payed around $800.00. I think Papo Pepin during his ternure with Roberto Roena used to play some big old congas if I am not mistaken Eladio Perez did too while he was with EP. If i recalled it right some people did not used quinto or congas at all (11" or 11" 3/4") looked to me they played tumbas and super-tumbas sized drums, talk about a BOOOOOOOOMING SOUND! :D

Edited By RitmoBoricua on May 06 2003 at 17:15
RitmoBoricua

Postby jdmanteca » Tue May 06, 2003 5:41 pm

I just wanted to get in on the skins vs. synthetic head discussion before it got off track. I have gone the exact same path as Sebastion with the head experimentation. I play in a band in Austin, TX that plays funk, latin, sukos, zydeco... a little bit of everything. I started with the buffalo skins on my LP classics and because of the humidity in Austin, I began to search for a head that didn't require much tuning. I tried Evans and Nuskyns and although they didn't require a lot of tuning, I couldn't get used to the feel and I could never find the right tone that I prefer. They always sounded a little ringy. I've since replaced those with my original skin heads and I couldn't be happier. As far as I'm concerned there is no comparison. As for the volume issues, that what's mic's are for. I think my synthetic head experimentation days are over. I accepted my permanant date with my tuning wrench as long as I can keep the quality tone of real skin. Just my opinion.
jdmanteca

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue May 06, 2003 6:13 pm

Hi, I do not think the mic is going to do the volume trick, specially when the rest of the band is miked too. If you notice people like Raul Rekow, Karl Perazzo, Bobby Allende, Marc Quinones and others are using the fyberskin when they play with Santana, Allman Brothers or Marc Anthony just to have the volume they desire and like. It just matter of the application or situation and what you like. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby JDmonteca » Tue May 06, 2003 9:51 pm

If you listen to old Santana recordings, these guys had plenty of volume before the use of synthetic heads. I think it's a matter of preference. I play in a very loud band. Since I've switched back to real skin heads, I've had to remind the sound man to give me a little more in the mix than he thinks should be. I think it might be the warmer tone of wood/skin that seems to blend with the overall band sound which is heard as diminished volume. With a higher mix level, I've manage to overcome that and still maintain that preferred tone. Again, I think it is just a matter of preference.
JDmonteca

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 07, 2003 2:28 am

Vaya ..the congas were by "Ismael" de Puerto Rico...es verdad...Gracias......JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to CongaSet and accessories