Tumba or quinto - Newbie question about my next drum.

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby sputnam » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:07 pm

I’m new to this forum and I hope someone is willing to give me some advice. I’ve been playing the conga for about six months. I have a segundo (Matador) and am looking to get another drum. The problem is which one. From what I’ve read in the forum, I probably should have started with a tumba and then added a quinto. But since I didn’t, what would be best choice for my next drum?

Your input is greatly appreciated. I really need that second drum! :)
sputnam

Postby Raymond » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:59 pm

What is a segundo? (The term is new to me...). To play out there the combination most commonly used is the conga and the tumbadora. (It is done for a "fatter sound" and two have, of course, two diffeent souding drum, one with a deep sound and another with a "higher" pitch sound. However, I have seen other combinations I have seen as long as you have a small and big drum).

The quinto is a smaller, regularly high pitched than the conga, normally used for soloing or "accenting" once in a while. I have seen some players with the full set up, quinto, conga and tumbadora, who use the quinto as a the main conga and use the conga for combinantions or accenting. Also, seen people with two congas and one tumbadoras for the same reasons, give more sounds to their tumbaos or for accenting. Also seen people with a quinto and a tumbadora; a quinto and a conga; a quinto and conga. Please note that there are people who refer to the conga as quinto. However, the most common "basic" and traditional combination is the conga and the tumbadora.

There is also out there a "requinto" (a smaller drum than the quinto. LP has a Giovanni and Galaxy requinto). Also, use manly for soloing. Never seen it but people claim, among them Giovanni, that it could be used as a main drum.
Raymond

Postby sputnam » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:17 pm

Thanks for your input. It sounds like I should go with the tumba, and then move on to the quinto.

BTW, the segundo is another name for the middle drum, or what is commonly called the conga. I was told that some people refer to all sizes of the drum as congas, so I was trying to be more specific.
sputnam

Return to CongaSet and accessories