Giovanni Conga or Quinto

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby kmurray » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:44 pm

I have a gio requinto and I want to get it a mate. Ideally, I'd like to have the quinto and the conga, but for now I am only going to get one. Which one would you get to make the best duo? FYI - I play these mainly in acoustic duo settings.
kmurray

Postby Simon B » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:28 pm

Tumba. The traditional pairing. And then you can get the deep bottom-end, whilst still being able to tune it up high should you want the interval between the drums to be near. The bigger the drum the more visual impact, too.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby CongaCaja » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:52 pm

Considering that you current have the smallest drum, requinto, of the set (9.75 inches dia.), you definitely should go for some contrast in range.

If not the tumba (12.5 in), as Simon B suggests (which is a good option...the majority of my technique practice is on my tumba), then at least the conga (11.75).

Definitely not the quinto (11 in). If would have only requinto and quinto, you would not have any low end.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby kmurray » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:01 am

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the conga, but I'll keep my eyes open for the tumba. I think I'll be happy with either.
kmurray

Return to CongaSet and accessories