new Giovanni Hidalgo congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby 106-1028519773 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:00 am

Hello everybody,

Check out the new line of Giovanni hidalgo Congas.

http://www.congahead.com/On_The_....59.html
106-1028519773

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:45 am

What's up jbotz! These new Giovanni's looks much nicer than the originals, but as I understand it, it's much taller. I believe they are 32 inches tall. I am right?? They also look like Timba Congas.
RayBoogie

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:38 pm

Hi, They look pretty much like the original models except for the metal bands around the shell. I think they want to give it that "Traditional" look a la Gon Bop or JCR! ???

Edited By RitmoBoricua on Feb. 25 2003 at 14:39
RitmoBoricua

Postby Doctorumba » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:10 pm

They look better now, eventhough they all try to imitate that Cuban Vergara look.Gon Bops tried,Timba ,Moperc,Junior Tirado and Jay from "Skin on Skin".After having seen and played all except Moperc,which I haven't play,I would not trade them for my original Vergaras that I got from the late Marcelino Valdes.Saludos, Dario :)
Doctorumba

Postby Michael S » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:08 pm

I have mixed opinions on them, mainly because I always thought that Ash wood on the GH model to be ugly. The bands really improve the look alot. However, do we really need a new conga model from LP or do these replace the original GH's? As we all know, these bands are not needed anymore and probably are there for purely cosmetic reasons, which is all that LP does anymore, play dress-up with their existing model line. (And then adds $50-$100 to the price) Or are the drums different in height or shape, which obviously would affect their sound.
Michael S

Postby 106-1028519773 » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:57 am

What is the purpose of making them taller(32") instead of the standard 30" height?
106-1028519773

Postby GalloPinto » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:34 pm

When will the New Giovanni series be on the market? I tried everywhere looking for them and they don't have them.
GalloPinto

Postby REQUINTOFUNK » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:19 pm

i called LP and they said they are coming out around May of this year........good luck
REQUINTOFUNK

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:26 am

Does anyone find it kind of funny (in a marketing way) how LP used to claim that the lack of metal brands (on their wood drums) reduced the possibility of extraneous vibration noise. Now, when a retro-look seems cool (aka marketable) they put them on their high end drums. Check out the quote from LP's web site.

Other manufacturers use exterior metal bands rather than steel pins to strengthen their congas. A wood conga is constantly expanding and contracting, and when the wood expands it puts pressure on the metal band, and enlargens it. When the wood later contracts, the metal band becomes loose. Keep in mind you won't see a loose band, but you certainly will hear it rattle when the drum is played!

The link to the quote...
Why Buy LP - The Creation.....Conga in the Raw

btw, that super tumba looks HUGE!...or at it does when Giovanni's playing it here
Product Showcase- Palladium

Also, two contradictary quotes from LP. First, from the page of the Palladium congas
All stand 32" tall, making them ideal for traditional sit down playing.

And then from the catalog page for the Salsa model congas
LP Salsa Model Congas stand 28" tall and are designed to accommodate congueros who preferto play seated.

Hence, 32" (2" larger than regular 30" height) is ideal for seated playing while at the same time 28" is also ideal. Ok, I admit that depending on one's height various sizes might seem ideal...relative to the conguero. But wait, the 32" congas are the "ideal" Giovanni congas and he doesn't seem very tall in any of the photos/videos that I've seen. Confused?...so, am I.

Marketing is funny but business isn't it?

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on April 16 2003 at 01:15
CongaCaja

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:26 am

I have 30" Matador (wood) congas and they are little high for me (seated). I imagine 32" tall Giovanni Palladium model would definitely give me problems. I do like that new/old retro look, but as stated earlier those are really for the look and LP will jack up the price just for that new/old look. As I stated in a previous board, I swear by my Matador's and I do like the LP products, but the prices of some of their products are outrageous.

Have you seen the new "Armando Peraza"? Personally, I like the first Armando model. The shape of the drum is traditional and unique (at least to me). Give LP another 5 to 10 years and they will reissue the original Armando model and jack the price another $200.00-$300.00. Mark my words!!

The only product that I definitely want is the "LP One Shoot" (shaker). This is one of the best products LP has brought out in years. The only thing is, I can't find it! Neither Sam Ash nor Manny's Music has this product on stock. I definitely don't want to buy it from LP Music Store. It's cheaper to buy it from the music store than to order it online.
RayBoogie

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:08 pm

RayBoogie...

I think you're right about the new Armando Peraza model. The new ones are overly "loud" in design (for my taste) which reminds of the LP's children's line. Seems like an arbitrary update to make them "fresh" aka renew marketability

I too have Matador drums and they have been great drums for me. My two issues with them. First, the heads don't seem as consistent as those of the "hand picked" variety found on the LP's high end models. By consistent, I mean over the surface of a single head (thicker and thinner areas) and also between heads of different drums (thickness and texture). Second, the rims were obstructing my slaps. This I only noticed after I found a good teacher who's been correcting my technique. Neither a traditional nor comfort curve II rims seem to be as problematic.

But, getting back to the Giovianni's...the original Galaxy's played very nicely when I tried them in the store. I didn't buy those because as a beginner I couldn't justify the high price. So, I'm saying there is some additional value in those high-end drums, but like most luxury items...the little extras come at premium cost. Now, the price of the Palladium's? ...that borders on outrageous.

Will I ever upgrade? Sure, I'd imagine I will. To what? Who knows, but for now I'm happy with my Matadors....and I'll enjoy watching the masters, like Giovanni, play those pretty drums that they get for free.

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on April 16 2003 at 02:10
CongaCaja

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:22 am

I hear you Congacaja!

If your not happy with the head of the drums, you could change them to the handpicked heads. It will definitely fit.

I too, sometime in the future will upgrade my drums and more than likely it will be LP. What, I don't know! I guess we will see.
RayBoogie

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:25 pm

Hi. You are not kidding there when you say Mr. Hidalgo does not have to pay for the drums name after him, it is the other way around. I too have Matador and to tell the truth I like them a lot, I have LP's as well and right now I prefer to play my Matador. Take Care :)
RitmoBoricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories