Conga Heads - Quality opinions

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby TikiDemon » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:35 pm

Hey all,
This is my first time on this site and MAN am I impressed. SO much info here! So happy I found this place...Well anyways...I have a question that could considered a technique subject, but whatever...
I've been playing almost every other day for close to a year now and I have pretty much beginner congas. The Headliner's by Meinl. I have fun with them but I get frustrated when I listen to cd's and watch my tapes because the tones and slaps they get sound totally incredible and crisp.....and mine are just so so. So I'm like...ok...am I just not getting the hand positions yet or do these heads suck, or do these congas suck, or is it all three factors. I would love to jam out on a really nice set and find out. I figured I would start with new heads for now. One problem is...the congas come in 11" and 12". The 12" is not a standard size so I dont know if I can find a head for that one...other than the type that come with them. Will it even make any drastic differences if I get new heads??? Any thoughts?
TikiDemon

Postby CongaCaja » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:59 am

Hi TikiDemon,

I've had similar concerns as you do because I puchased good, but not top-of-line drums (LP matadors). The heads are not the hand-picked ones that you find on the high-end LP's.

Unfortunately, I have no advice about heads. However, with respect to the slap sound and sound quality due to heads...IMHO, technique is a much bigger factor. I'd consider myself a beginner (percussionist for 25 yrs but only playing congas about 7 months). Recently, I've begun studying with a teacher that I really like (Mike Spiro). As any good teacher, the first thing he did was to begin correcting my technique. In just the last two months, I've noticed a significant difference in my sound quality and I have by no means mastered all the strokes.

So, I'm not sure how you feel about your technique, but unless you're totally confident about that, I'd save the cash (for now). just an opinion

buena suerte...

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Michael S » Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:16 pm

Welcome TikiDemon. I would not advise spending money on heads for drums you may not keep. I assume you will move up in quality soon as most people do. Entry level drums, those that come in the non-traditional sizes, almost always have inferior heads. But technique is also probably your problem at this point. Slaps always take time and conditioning to develop. Be patient (ain't that easy to say!) and you will get the sound you want. The sound is usually the drummer not the drum.
Michael S

Postby Raymond » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:29 pm

I have the same advice as everybody. However, if you do not want to invest in a good set of congas, perhaps dealing with the heads could solve your problem temporarily. The problem with the sizes of Headliners is one you have to deal with. Remo is coming out with a NuSkyn, one of their synthetic heads, in sizes in the "entry level". I do not know if they are available out there yet. (There is a mention of it in their site http://www.remo.com).

Congas that are quintos come in 11 inches. Not that many people buy quintos though. (Normally everbody buys the standard big sizes 11 1/2 and 12 3/4, I think that is correct). You might want to special order. Another alternative is to have them "mounted" by somebody else. (Depending on what location you are it could be tough to have somebody mount them for you or selecting the sheet of "hide". If not, ask some players in your area). For the 12 "tumbador" the best advise to give is to contact a Meinl distributior and see they could get you one of their "good heads". (Meinl has some Marathon series congas in 11, 12 and 13 sizes. Their "factory" heads are pretty good)!

Regarding the slap, it takes time finding "your slap". Good thing you are doing is taping yourself. Watch what others do. Ask their advise. Tell them to show you. Show them what are you doing. The technique for the slap is "standard", however, what works for some might not work for others, i.e, area where you triying to the slap, angle of your hand, etc, etc. Look for "your spot", following the right technique so your hand do not suffer. Practice, practice. You have to develop also what I call your "weight" with your hand that should work with your tuning. Once you find that combination, you will get a "slap" you are content with and eventually you will develop "strength" in your hand and you will do that slap anywhere in any conga and with any tuning.

Do it slow and find your sound!

Good luck!
Raymond

Return to CongaSet and accessories