drum machines - machine to play clave

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby panerus » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:14 pm

Can anyone recommend a machine that can play different clave patterns for practicing with? Either a metromone or inexpensive drum machine, headphone jack who be helpful too.

panerus

Postby KingKongas » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:50 am

hey panerus-
check out all the different clave patterns on this site! I was impressed at how many there actually were outside of the 3/2 2/3, etc. clave... Do all there and record yourself... That's something that should give you great accomplishment or someething....
KingKongas

Postby Michael S » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:38 pm

I have an older model Yamaha RY10 that is great for programming any kind of clave or cowbell patter. You can also program in other conga, timable, drumset, shaker etc patterns. It also allows me to combine patterns into "songs" so I'm not just repeating the same pattern over and over. I highly recommend getting some sort of machine instead of a metronome (because the drum machine will also function as a straight metronome). If you pick up a used one without a manual, Yamaha maintains most of their manuals on their website, available for download free.
Michael S

Postby cwkemp » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:48 pm

Hi all
If you have any kind of simple notation or midi sequencing software you can use it as a metronome or in conjunction with the synth on-board your computer's sound card to emulate clave and bell patterns at infinitely variable tempo, and like the drum machine, you could have the patterns change every 8 or 12 bars or so. I have some of the clave patterns saved as midi 1 files, if you're interested in them or how to do it drop me a line. A drum machine would probably sound better, but it's a place to start.

keep practicing, it works
cwkemp
cwkemp

Postby benbaboon » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:12 pm

I have a Boss Dr. Rhythm 550. I had to manually program in clave and bell patterns but it works great for that. Easy adjustment of tempo and easy flipping through patterns.
Reasonably simple to learn the programming, if you're keeping it for simple things like that.
I wish it had more conga sounds though.
-bb
benbaboon

Return to CongaSet and accessories