drums for recording

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby michael angelo rosario » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:47 pm

happy new year all your conguero.. my DAUGHTER will be recording her first CD next FRIDAY at Astoria SOUND. she plays percussion in a jazz band, she wanted to know what will be the the bes tset for congas.she has a set of 2 fiber-glass patato model congas with remo - nu skyns[ conga and tumba} she also has a set of 3 wood congas lp. {quinto, conga and a tumba by meinl. should se use wood or fiberglass..she also said that Lp. which is own now by KAMAN INCORPORATION since offical date Dec 20th 2002 is going to discontnue the patato model FIBER GLASS LP on march 7 th which means that will be the last date of production for the patato model.. any Patato drum you buy after march 7th will be left over stock, so if you want this drum by it now.
michael angelo rosario

Postby Isaac Hersh » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:07 pm

I've had the privelidge of watching a few recording sessions
with Tito Puente's Orchestra and also Chico O'Farill.
In both situations they used wooden congas, which
seem to record better than fiberglass.
Isaac Hersh

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:01 am

I differ than wood congas are best for recording. Some of the best recording have been made with fiberglass congas. Some of "salsa's" great congueros use fiberglass models. I guess depends on the players, miking, etc. etc.

I admit that in a studio environment, a fiberglass conga will give more overtone. LP Patato models are like by a lot of congueros who record because of they sharp overtones. LP's claim about Patato models recording is true. (By the way, current LP Accents and Galaxy's are made in the same formal as Patato's, wide body - small bottom/mouth).

Saludos
Raymond

Return to CongaSet and accessories