Roc-n-Soc thrones - a mistake

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Michael S » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:00 am

Just a bit of info for anyone considering the purchase of a Roc-N-Soc throne for seated playing. I purchased one about two years ago and have now just sold it to a kit drummer. Roc-N-Soc makes absolutely top quality thrones and it was extremely comfortable and well built. However, the motorcycle-style seat has a rather long "nose" on the front. This caused me to have to move forward on the seat in order to sit with the conga properly gripped with my legs. This move forward on the seat negated the comfort, and therefore the purpose, of the throne's wide seat. This long "nose" also rubbed against the conga, causing an annoying squeak, which I had to counter with some cloth tape on the "nose". I also bought the Lunar Model which has the five legged base. The throne does not fold, collapse, or disassemble, making transporting it bothersome. There is a model with the standard collapsing base, however, the seats are all the same.
On the plus side, it does lower to a very low height, which is good for congueros.
At $150, it was tough deciding I had made a mistake. At least I thought I could pass on the experience to my fellow congueros.
P.S. I'm thinking of putting the money toward some Toca seated conga stands, but I'm wary.
Michael S

Postby congabebe » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:08 am

Gosh!
Thank you for posting your comments. I have been wanting to buy a drum throne but couldn't decide. I looked at the bike type thinking it would be comfortable, but I am so glad you posted your comments. What did you end up getting?
Anyone know if Pork Pie is any better? Or what about the bench types/square but still center post with collapsible legs? And what about the height adjustable ones, I thought maybe I should get it to adjust taller for my double stands barstools don't work, to tall and can't get to the congas easily. So, I wear good comfortable shoes and stand anyway. This is not always confortable if the guitarist is sitting, for like a duo. Anyone else have some comments.

Thanks,
Congabebe
congabebe

Postby Michael S » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:48 pm

Actually, I ended up with a cheapie knock-off by Adam (?), similiar to what Union makes. But it is a good bicycle style, which keeps pressure off the back of the thighs, and has a real short nose on the front so I can pull the conga in close. It has four double braced legs, very sturdy. It is also hydraulic, which I like because I can use it for my keyboard and drum pad as well. As a bonus, it has a backrest. It was the throne used by the drummer who bought my Roc-N-Soc.
Height adjustment is important; make sure the throne will go low enough for seated conga playing (many don't). Gibraltar makes a throne they call extended but I don't know how high it goes.
For your needs, congabebe, try a throne meant for keyboard or guitar players. Interstate Music used to sell one but I don't see it in their current drum catalog and my Interstate Keyboard/Guitar catalog is missing. It was a collapsible seat with a backrest and a footbar and looked like you could just lean back into it for resting.
Michael S

Postby Michael S » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:51 pm

Remember that the long nose on the Roc-N-Soc is crucial to it's comfort. It comes out far and raises up in sort or a bump to wrap the drummers thighs for support. This is an extremely comfortable seat for kit drummers but doesn't work well for congueros.
Michael S

Return to CongaSet and accessories