Timba Patterns

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Leland Johnson » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:43 am

It seems to me that the conga patterns in the timba 2 section may be cruzado or out of clave. In particular look at pattern 3. It seems to me the opposite of how you would expect clave.

Let me know what you all think.
Leland Johnson

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:52 am

It is me personally that showed these rhythms on Congaplace's congabook. They have been shown me by two masters: Orlando Poléo and Roberto Vizcaïno.
I affirm that all rhythms of this page are in the common sense of the clave. The rhythm number 3 must be played as it is write. These are rhythms different of the salsa marcha.
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:27 pm

Laurent, carefully take a listen to the Orlando Poleo Timba pattern #1 sound example. The clave is definitely played "cruzao" in the sound example.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:01 pm

tamboricua wrote:Laurent, carefully take a listen to the Orlando Poleo Timba pattern #1 sound example. The clave is definitely played "cruzao" in the sound example.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Not definitively Tamboricua! I'm sorry but I continue to say the clave is not cruzao in this example. To play the low conga on the part 2 of clave is current in this style. It is about a voluntary reversing. If it was to play a son montuno, I would agree but it is not a rhythm for son montuno or for the salsa. Other Cubans also showed it to me like that. Poléo showed it to me like that... So
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:37 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote:
tamboricua wrote:Laurent, carefully take a listen to the Orlando Poleo Timba pattern #1 sound example. The clave is definitely played "cruzao" in the sound example.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Not definitively Tamboricua! I'm sorry but I continue to say the clave is not cruzao in this example. To play the low conga on the part 2 of clave is current in this style. It is about a voluntary reversing. If it was to play a son montuno, I would agree but it is not a rhythm for son montuno or for the salsa. Other Cubans also showed it to me like that. Poléo showed it to me like that... So

Laurent, I'm not saying than by playing the tumba on the two side of the clave is necessary playing "cruzao". Now, if you were trying to show that playing the tumba on the two side of the clave is perfectly common in this Timba style, why did you play the tumba on the three side of the clave on the first sound example? Take a listen to the sound example #1.
You know what I mean?

As said by "Changuito" himself, the "father" and the "creator" of many of these Timba patterns is a tumbador named Juan Nogueras "El Wickly". Take a listen to NG la Banda, "En la Calle" cd, you will find all these patterns all over the place.

JG ;)

Edited By tamboricua on Feb. 18 2003 at 18:04
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:57 pm

??? I listened and I have just seen myself that you are perfectly right. I have it write correctly. But the file audio is cruzao. The file of the example 3 is correct as well as all others.
I correct that as quickly as possible!
The "father" and the "creator" of many of these "Timba" patterns is a tumbador named Juan Nogueras "El Wickly".
Take a listen to NG la Banda, "En la Calle" cd, you will find all these patterns all over the place.

:) I know this cd! Thank you
Laurent Lamy

Return to CongaSet and accessories