drums for recording - conga set and accesories

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby michael angelo rosario » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:48 pm

happy new year all your conguero.. my DAUGHTER will be recording her first CD next FRIDAY at Astoria SOUND. she plays percussion in a jazz band, she wanted to know what will be the the bes tset for congas.she has a set of 2 fiber-glass patato model congas with remo - nu skyns[ conga and tumba} she also has a set of 3 wood congas lp. {quinto, conga and a tumba by meinl. should se use wood or fiberglass..she also said that Lp. which is own now by KAMAN INCORPORATION since offical date Dec 20th 2002 is going to discontnue the patato model FIBER GLASS LP on march 7 th which means that will be the last date of production for the patato model.. any Patato drum you buy after march 7th will be left over stock, so if you want this drum by it now.
michael angelo rosario

Postby tamboricua » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:39 pm

Hi Michael Angelo, hope all is well! I'll go with wood drums for recording purposes. Wood drums tend to have a richer warmer sound. LP Patato's fiberglass drums been discontinued? What is your source of info on these? LP's Patato's drums are the most played and the best selling drums in all over the world.

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby michael angelo rosario » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:50 am

... i work for the Guitar center and i spoke to kama music
incorporation one of their top regional sales rep for the tri-state area their are 13 stores. he told me about that Lp. which is own kama will discontiue the patato model by march due a slump in sales over the past 18 months..

siempre la tumbao
michaelangelo
michael angelo rosario

Postby muddy323 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:34 am

I think wood will give her the best sound while recording. Add a touch of reverb and those slaps will become earthy and open notes will become fatter. You may want to mic those drums and record while playing to determine which sound would be better for the style of music that she will be playing, before the actual recording date
muddy323

Postby 120decibels » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:10 pm

Wood, Wood, Wood. As and acoustics guy and conguero, I will always pull for the natural sounds on recordings.

Having said that, I'm not sure that even the most well trained ear could tell the difference between a set of well tuned LP fiberglass drums and a set of well tuned LP wood drums when they are played in a full band. If you listened to them played with no accompaniment, and you heard them back to back (wood and then fiber or vice versa), you could tell. You might even be able to tell in an open solo, but I don't know.

Bottom line, I prefer wood for recordings, but it is a personal preference.

My $0.02,

Zach
120decibels

Return to CongaSet and accessories