MOPERC - ?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby timo » Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:53 pm

does anyone own or has ever played MOPERC congas
(preferrably the Custom Cubano series), they look amazing, but are not cheap, so i'm wondering if they are worth the money they cost.
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jan 25, 2002 4:24 pm

:D My personal opinion is for "handcrafted" drums they are worth it. these are not mass produced or factory made. Michel is an "artist" as a drummaker. I want all 5 of them like yesterday, but I have to rob a bank to get them..... :D tough choice ......JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby mikep » Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:49 am

Hello guys,

I emailed moperc for a catalog, which they did send me plus a price guide. They have about 4 models of which the lowest grade will run you in the $500 range (set of 4). The top model is about $750-$790. Very pricey but they are beautifully created as displayed in the catalog.

mikep
mikep

Postby timo » Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:16 pm

and if you buy the drums straight from Michel, from Canada you get 25% discount on the retailer prices!!
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby Bongo Boy » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:16 am

I was very impressed with the appearance of the MOPERCs on the web site. Just recieved the catalog, and although these are definitely beautiful shells, I was really disappointed with the hardware. This is basically the Toca Player's series hardware design, near as I can tell, but without the rolled-over band. In other words, the hoop is a flat strap bent in a circle that bears down on the head's reinforcing ring--what some folks refer to as the "traditional" Cuban design.

I do have to give MOPERC big points for using stainless steel hardware though--I wish the high-end LP's did the same. This is about the only hardware design I can think of that's feasible for a manufacturer that doesn't have too much equipment and doesn't outsource the manufacturing--you just can't make a Comfort Curve hoop out of 1/8" thick stainless in your backyard shop.

I think hardware design has progressed about 50 years beyond this already--unless these drums produce a sound that you just MUST have or you're in love with the aesthetics (admittedly wonderful looking drums), these are kind of a step backwards design-wise. Just my opinion.

Edited By Bongo Boy on Feb. 25 2002 at 06:24
Bongo Boy

Postby timo » Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:01 pm

if the desings been working for so many years and you get great sound whats the point of changing them? and personally even though the comfort rims are, well.. comfortable, the traditional ones appeal to me more, just my oppinion.
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby Bongo Boy » Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:08 am

What appeals to you the most is what really matters!

As for your question, there's always a reason to change something that already works--but I'd be the first to agree that every change somebody cooks up doesn't automatically mean 'better'.

I do feel the traditional design, from a strength, stiffness (rigidity) and aesthetic standpoint has really been improved on--even in low-end congas from LP, Toca and others. Does it make any difference in the end result (the sound)? Maybe not. To me it's an engineering issue--I just wouldn't pay a substantial premium for a drum that doesn't use what I think is state-of-the-industry hardware design.

They ALL sound like crap when I play 'em anyway :)

Edited By Bongo Boy on Feb. 26 2002 at 07:25
Bongo Boy

Postby benbaboon » Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:49 am

The old style rims do not add any unneccessary weight to the drum.... a great advantage.

They also make sure you keep an eye on your technique since you'll start hurting if you keep bangin' your hand on the rim.

with comfort curve you keep smilin while bangin the rim, keep your bad technique and keep sounding like crap.

It's a little bit like prozac. you keep happy while the economy and the environment keep crapping out.

Just cause an invention shows brilliance in engineering doesn't mean it's good.....
-bb
benbaboon

Postby Bongo Boy » Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:45 am

We have pretty opposite viewpoints, I guess. I see stiff, massive hardware as something of an advantage--it was one of the big criteria for my drum selection. To me this is a good thing for any part of the drum that isn't "supposed" to vibrate. Were you thinking in terms of portability, etc?

As for the 'comfort' of the rim design--I don't think anyone needs to have the drum punish them for poor technique--that's what instructors are for, isn't it? :).

But seriously, I don't know which rims hurt more when you hit 'em, but I know the "comfort curve" style rims certainly hurt more than enough to motivate the player to stay away from them. I personally think that name is just something the old Marketing Dept came up with, anyway.

Edited By Bongo Boy on Feb. 27 2002 at 08:47
Bongo Boy

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:10 am

If you have the Moperc catalog, take a look at the drum Michel is embracing on the back cover--I think you'll find that there isn't such a drum anywhere else in the catalog.

It has the long-strip, salsa anchors, but is banded near the rim. Looks like a prototype or maybe just something custom. Innaresting.
Bongo Boy

Postby carlitos » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:54 am

I've also looked at the drums but who has them so they can be played, I wont spend that type of money without a test drive. Oh JC you rob the bank I'll drive the car lets get a full set. Then I'll take lessons from ya. :)
Carlitos
carlitos

Postby congabebe » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:27 am

Moperc's truly beautiful congas. I think the Fat Congas were beautiful also. Actually, to me all congas are beautiful, except the honey Yellow Toca's and the Blue Gel ones, and the Shelia E's,... ugh. I am ok with blue, but the Blue Gel's? Has anyone seen these? What were they thinking? I guess stage lights and some 60's acid rock back drop behind them.

Tough call on hardware. As far as injury, goes, I popped a blood vessel in my little finger the first night I had 'comfort curve' congas. Bad technique and not being familiar with the drums enough when I played them. I hadn't been playing long when I did that. So, it wasn't the cuban rims that were dangerous. And as far as looks goes, I am convinced the cuban rims look more interesting than the comfort curves, so I could give up my Toca's and switch... who is driving? What bank are we stopping at ... Maybe I could win the lottery and buy some.

peeling rubber til the lottery ticket wins,
congabebe :p
congabebe

Return to CongaSet and accessories