Adding the Third - Different make allowed?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Simon B » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:27 pm

I'm considering adding a third drum. I'm happy with my two Meinls (11 and half and 12 3/4) and have my sights on their tumba model. But what if I wanted to add a tumba of a different make because it was going at cheap second-hand price or whatever? Would it matter in terms of sound (and looks even) if I threw in a Toca Traditional or an LP Classic instead?
Simon B

Postby 120decibels » Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:04 pm

I've seen guys play three or four completely different drums! They sound great together. The looks are a matter of personal preference.

I routinely play with an old CP or Aspire drum as my 4th. Though I am not confident enough to try 4 drums at a gig, it's fun around the house. I have gotten the lower quality drums to sound good enough (with a higher quality head) that they mingle decently with my LP Classics. They're a bit shorter, but as a fourth drum they can work.

Do whatever makes you happy.

My $0.02,

Zach

Edited By 120decibels on Aug. 22 2002 at 10:05
120decibels

Postby Simon B » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:00 pm

I have gotten the lower quality drums to sound good enough (with a higher quality head)

Presumably the higher quality head would be from a different model but from the same manufacturer - or can you get heads to fit from different manufacturers? I always assumed that LP's 11'' would be Pearl's 12".

Simon B
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:20 pm

Simon B wrote:I'm considering adding a third drum. I'm happy with my two Meinls (11 and half and 12 3/4) and have my sights on their tumba model. But what if I wanted to add a tumba of a different make because it was going at cheap second-hand price or whatever? Would it matter in terms of sound (and looks even) if I threw in a Toca Traditional or an LP Classic instead?

Hi Simon, hope all is well! What model are your Meinl drums?

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Simon B » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:45 pm

Hi Jorge - they're Marathon Exclusive.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:24 pm

Yep, I can only agree with 120Decibels, don´d worry, If you look with your ears, a different brand is just as good as any other if you want to enlarge your battery of drums.
Mind you, as with us humans, the head is pretty important (Don´t lose yours over the sheer multitude of drums available..) ;)
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to CongaSet and accessories