CP or LP Aspires - What is the difference?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby 106-1028519773 » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:50 am

I would really like to learn how to play the congas, but I only have $300 Canadian to spend. My delima is that my friend is willing to sell me his CP congas(11" and 12") for $175 Canadian. On the other hand my local music store is selling a used pair of LP wood Aspires(11" and 12") for $280 Canadian. My question is, what are the differences between the two models since they both look the same and CP is made by LP anyway? Is it worth the extra $105 plus taxes to get the LP's? :)
106-1028519773

Postby 120decibels » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:36 pm

jbotz5,

I believe that LP replaced thier entry level CP (Cosmic Percussion) line of congas with the LP Aspire line two or three years ago. I have a CP conga and Aspire Tumba that I started on and now use for teaching, drunken bar gigs, etc. They are essentially the same drum. All the hardware is the same, the drum quality is the same, etc. I think that the only CP conga that they still make is the "Ricardo" conga.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy the CP congas and invest in some new, higher quality heads for them. I found the CP/Aspire heads very thin and therefore full of nasty overtones.

Good Luck. Both sets are good for beginners on a budget. If you get into it, though, you'll probably want to upgrade fairly quickly. I bought a set of LP Classics after about a year with one CP conga. They were expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I hope that this helps. Enjoy!

120dB
120decibels

Postby Percman » Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:17 pm

The Aspires were upgraded, better rim, tucked head compared to a sewn head on the CP drums.
Percman

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:09 pm

:D Hi the Cp's and the Aspire's are generally for kids to get started on .Try and find a set of Matadors on Ebay,for the more mature player....At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:13 pm

My thoughts on what brand: when deciding what congas to buy I took advice from arguably the most well-regarded conguero here in the UK, Robin Jones. He told me - firmly - that if you have a serious interest in wanting to learn get a pair of LP Classics and no less (he is sponsored by LP). When I explained there was no way I had the the money for Classics he gave me a tip - Meinl Marathon Exclusives, sound and build nearly as good as Classics, two-thirds maybe nearly half the price. So I bought some and am totally satisfied, also because a good friend and jamming partner has Classics I can vouch that they really do sound nearly as good. I get the impression they are not easy to get hold of in the US, but worth looking into nonetheless.

Simon B
Simon B

Return to CongaSet and accessories