Stands etc... - Discuss the use of stuff that you DONT hit

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:33 am

It's kind of amazing that no manufacturer has produced a drum with an integral set of three legs, isn't it? What is the problem here, anyway? Bolt three metal thingies to the lower portion of the drum that allows for quick-detachable brackets designed to hold the drum 1-2" off the floor. Duh.

Make the brackets themselves optional (ie, mo munny), and you've got a complete marketing campaign.
Bongo Boy

Postby timo » Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:42 am

i think that would too much of a pain specially when mass produced. ;)
timo

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:46 pm

For me there are important logistical considerations. When I first started doing local gigs as a percussionist, I played congas in a salsa group, so sitting with conga and tumba was fine. Now I tend to play with funk/fusion outfits as a multi-percussionist - and with congas on stands I can access bongos, shakers, etc, lots quicker than if I am sitting with a conga between my legs! I still play on congas much more than other instruments, however, and will always sit when focsed only on them.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Bongo Boy » Sun Apr 07, 2002 3:28 am

I've been having a good time by tipping the conga in the short Gibralter stand mentioned earlier--the GCS-LSP model (Gibraltar Conga Stand-Low Seated Play)--about 20 cm tall total height. Because this stand has a lot of rubber in contact with the drum at each of the three supports, it will hold the drum securely even when tipped a lot.

So, I've adjusted the stand to hold the bottom of the drum about 2cm off the floor--then I tilt it away (and to the right for timbao practice, straight forward for a lot of oother stuff).

Just another little bit o' info.

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=det....&cid=33

Edited By Bongo Boy on April 06 2002 at 22:45
Bongo Boy

Postby gav » Fri May 03, 2002 9:01 pm

Really impressed with the responses on this board. Learned a #### of a lot from here.

Looks like ive settled with the Congas on the floor, with the lead tilted between my legs (easier to get good clean hits), and the Bongos i got a stand for (see my icon).

I guess it just goes to show that you should use what works for you, and that everyone has their own variation on things depending on type of band, surface, other instruments you have etc... The tray's option from JC sounds mighty interesting though. Were they wooden? :D
the Gavster
gav

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat May 04, 2002 5:00 am

:D I started out playing sitting down because it was natural to do so. But when I started to go on tour with Major acts, I learned I had to play standing and play more than just congas. After 35 years of playing i now prefer playing standing up. No more back problem, and I feel I have more "fluidity" in my playing. The congas also sound louder because of being elevated off the ground. but ya know it's still up to you and what works for you, try both ways and see which way is comfortable for you....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...Master Drummer..... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat May 04, 2002 5:04 am

Hey Guys and Gals...Be on the lookout for some Live Video from me to be downloaded soon. I have somone who is going to show me how to do it, so you can chek my style out. I'm still a novice with the PC. Always room to learn.........Back atcha soon!....JC JOHNNY CONGA.....PS....I LUV THIS CLUB!
JohnnyConga

Postby Bongo Boy » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:32 am

DEFINITELY looking forward to it JC. It would be great if more of us could do this...I'm a little challenged myself when it comes to audio, recording and everything related.

Imagine if dorks like myself could post a short mp3 or something, and have folks listen and make comments for improvement, etc., or even reply with a sound file themselves. Oooh babeee! Ooops, looks like we diverged from the thread here a little!

Edited By Bongo Boy on July 02 2002 at 20:33
Bongo Boy

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories