Stands etc... - Discuss the use of stuff that you DONT hit

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby gav » Mon Apr 02, 2001 11:43 pm

You can buy congas with or without stands, then there is basket stands and double stands? It seems that Giovanni Hidalgo doesn't use stands. But i have seen many artists that do. I have tried to play with both basket stands and with no stands, and although i found no stands more comfortable (you can adjust the angle of the conga with your legs whilst sitting down as well), i found that using stands gave a fuller sound (because the bottom of the congas were not muffled on the floor) and you could move around (if you were really into it). Is there a 'best' way. Are there specific reasons for the different ways? :|
gav

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 03, 2001 8:09 pm

Well, as you say with stands you can produce more volume and sound, but on the other hand, it depends on a) the quality of your drums as well as b) the surface you place them on: wooden surface is O.K.
I play the congas seated only, for it gives me a feeling of stability. In addition, I use the LP Rubber feet (dýa know them?), with which a nice open and bass sound can be obtained, too.
All the "showmen" would use stands for optical reasons mainly, I guess. But Angá Diaz (Afro-Cuban All-Stars - terrific), for example always sits.......So it seems to be a matter of your personal choice (if you aren´t a hard-headed traditionalist.
Mike

Postby gav » Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:11 am

Didnt know about the LP Rubber feet, that helps. I play them on a carpet floor, so it muffles quite a lot, but i agree about the stability. Thanks.
gav

Postby willowwilg » Sun Apr 22, 2001 12:20 pm

i play both sitting and with basket stands.
i get taught sitting down, my teacher says i don't always have the luxury of stands.
when sitting down though, i miss the bass sound from the tumba. i adjust my playing to it.
i prefer to play with stands, but since i can't drive a car, i quite often play without.
willowwilg

Postby CongaMan » Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:56 pm

I've stands but I never use them... It's not easy but when sitting down you should be able to up your congas using your knees when playing a bass tone....
this way helps to get a proper sound even if you play without stands...
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Yukon conga » Sat Jun 02, 2001 6:39 pm

Hi guys
When I bought my Matadors, conga and tumba, they came with a pretty skookum stand. That is the way I played them for a couple of years. Then after seeing a video of congas being played without stands I gave it a try. I feel more connected to my drums it seems when sitting.

One minor problem is that the Matadors are very fat drums, so it's not easy to keep the conga in place between my legs. A solution I have seen is to wrap a simple harness with clips on the ends, behind your waist and hook onto the tuning lugs of the drum.

But although the conga now has some airspace underneath to project sound, the tumba is sitting on the ground - not good. Plus the fact that it is not at the ideal height to reach easily.

I started out as a kit drummer as a teenager in the 70's. Maybe that's why I feel the need to be able to adjust all drums to exactly the height and angle which makes it easiest to jump from drum to drum without losing sticks, or in this case, maybe stubbing fingers.

The rubber feet that Mike suggested sound like a good idea. Certainly a lot easier to transport than stands. What I am planning to try (after we move out of this one bedroom apartment this fall into a house with a shop) is to build some padded wooden feet similar in design to the rubber feet, but of various heights to elevate the drums to my custom heights/angles.

Then I might use the lower section of the conga stand, and make, or have made, an attachment so I can mount my bongos, because they are majorly uncomfortable to hold between my knees like the old beatniks did.

Ross
Yukon conga

Postby Drummer1 » Sat Jun 02, 2001 9:32 pm

I would use stands. Yukon Conga i am a kit drummer also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drummer1

Postby DaveHines » Sun Jun 03, 2001 3:03 pm

Hi all.......New to the board. I've been playing 6 years now and after all that time experimenting, I've found a great sit/stand compromise. All my congas sit on the floor except for the tumba, which I place in a very short basket stand. It's made by Gilbraltar and keeps the tumba just 2 inches off the floor. This allows me to sit comfortably yet get a good clean and deep bass. Hope this helps.
DaveHines

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 03, 2001 3:59 pm

Stands, standing, seated,... well, I, too, use one stand (former Afro Percussion) which keeps the drum only a few inches above the ground. It´s OK, I put my "bad" 9 3/4 Cosmic Percussion combo (with terrific mulehead, though) into the stand so as to have a third drum reachable between my "good" LP/Matador beauties ;-)
It´s good for Abaqua, e.g., but on the other hand: Is there anything that beats a pair of fine quinto/conga or conga tumba?
Mike

Postby congamyk » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:12 pm

I play both ways but seem to have better technique while standing. I play tenor and soprano sax professionally also and incorporate timbales so when I gig I stand exclusively. The LP super conga stand is awesome (expensive) but when you have alot of gear, it is an incredible asset. I use a drum throne with a tripod base when I sit and found that if you have one of the throne legs come straight out in front of you, you can tilt the base of the conga or quinto on top of it and it holds pretty naturally. I use rubber LP "legs" without a stand when seated. Best wishes to all Congueros.
congamyk

Postby Bongo Boy » Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:06 pm

Dave mentioned the Gibralter stand, and I have the same one. It's worked out perfectly for me--all our floors are carpeted and fairly 'squishy'. The gibralter stand has 3 legs that, while they would ideally be spread a little further apart, provide a nice stable ride for the drum. I can't handle having any motion to the drum when it's struck--that drives me nuts.

I've been wondering--what's the thinking behind playing just one drum differently than all the rest. That is, for those who don't use stands, they play the lead drum between their legs, tipped, etc. But all the other drums of course don't get played that way. Doesn't this seem kinda weird?
Bongo Boy

Postby timo » Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:59 pm

hi bongoboy, well playing seated is less stressfull (for me at least), the reason I tilt a drum is to get more colour to the sounds, you also get more volume, and these are nice when playing a lead on one conga, and some people do tilt the other congas when hitting bass on any drum by pushing it a little bit with the knee(not too safe), but its hard to tilt all the congas when playing, so thats one of the reasons,

and for using stands I am very traditionalist and dont use stands or play standing up. exept on my requinto which is about 5" short, for which i have a self made stand. and some players use rubber stands which only lift the drum a inch or so.
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:50 pm

:D HEY GUYS HERE IS A SUGGESTION IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY STANDS OR RUBBER FEET TRY SERVING TRAYS,THE KIND THEY USE IN RESTAURANTS. JUST PUT THEM UNDER THE CONGAS ON THE FLOOR, AND YOU WILL HEAR THE RESONANCE OF THE DRUM. i HAVE FOUND WHEN PLAYING ON THE FLOOR AND THERE IS A RUG ON STAGE IT'S BETTER TO USE THE TRAYS. TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. wITH MY BAND i HAVE TO PLAY STANDING UP AND I USE BASKET STANDS. :D DRUMMER FOR PEACE...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:54 pm

PS I have trays that are from 11 inches round to 13 inches round to put under my drums....JC JOHNNYCONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:01 pm

Hi JoConga, what are the trays made of. I do not know American trays, but to carry an LP or Matador conga they must be made of Titanium ...?!? ;)

With LP rubber feet, it´s always a stability problem on carpeted floors...
Peace & drum
Mike

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories