GonBop?  Anything new?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby agogobil » Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:05 pm

I have a set of GonBop - quinto y conga ... the drums are about 25 years old, with the original heads. They still sound nice, but I was wondering if I should replace the heads.

GonBop still has a website, but they only sell heads. Has anyone purchased any recently?

Thanks for your help.
agogobil

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:59 am

:D Hi ..what I can tell you is that Gon Bop conga drums do not exist anymore. The Son of Mariano who started Gon Bops back in the 50's sold the Factory to Richard Barrientos who created "Timba" conga drums. The best place to look for original and old Gon Bops are on Ebay....At your Service......JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby benbaboon » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:32 pm

if you have anyone local who installs heads, that might be better... since you will be able to choose the actual skin.
Way back, shortly before gon bops collapsed I bought some drums from them and was very dissappointed. The hooks were so brittle they'd snap and fly over the whole room when I tightened the heads (not that tight by the way), and the heads they came with weren't totally flat....
Ever since i have little faith in post 1995 Gon Bops products.
-bb
benbaboon

Return to CongaSet and accessories