meinl exclusive

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby pacou » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:02 pm

:(
Hi everybody,

I've just bought a tumba + a conga exclusive meinl.
But i'm a little bit disappointed because the skins are too thin. So the sound (espacially for the tumba) is not good for me. I thought that this serie of meinl was good. Maybe i have to make adjustements. I play with 3 drums (the quinto is a meinl serie marathon).
Can somebody help me?
pacou

Postby Mike » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:28 pm

OK, I understand your problem, and having advertised the Meinls in earlier posts, I feel somehow responsible ...
Well, perhaps you different tuning with the tumba. Of course, a too thin head makes a hollow sound (as a too thick one gives you the magic sound of cardboard - as I had to experience.. :(
But anyway, Meinl does not use very thick heads these days. I don´t know why- emaciated water buffalos? Too good shaving blades? ;)

To be srious, my experience with those Meinls is, it´s difficult to fond the "round sweet spot" in tuning - just try.

I wonder if new heads do any good , expensive, you´re right, and if not pre-mounted, there´s trouble with the sizes.

I wonder if I´ve been much help...
Good luck anyway!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby pacou » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:45 pm

Hi mike
Thanks for your help
I'll try to make tunning
Pacou
pacou

Postby Muata » Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:20 am

Hey Fellas,

I also have the Meinl Exclusive Marathon Series, and I find myself having to tune my Tumba much more frequently than my conga, which I think is weird. However, the skins on my drums are not thin, which is one of the reasons I got them (maybe I lucked up and got a well-fed Buffalo :)) Or maybe my perception is skewed because I use to play on LP Aspires :(

Hey, do you guys have problems with your conga ringing a bit when you play open slaps?

One Love,
Muata
Muata

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:43 am

Yep, a well-known problem (also discussed to great extent in earlier posts), but hard to eliminate because somehow it is due to the shell construction (strane vibrations... ;)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:41 pm

Hey Guys...We all know the thicker skin is for the Tumba and the thinnest for the quinto. What I wanna know is aren't they using Cow? Or have they reverted to WB also? Even on my Pearl Elites i had to change the skin on my tumbadora, because it was too thin. It has to have that bottem you can almost feel in your gut, ya know what I mean?......I have WB on my drums. MY skin on my quinto has been there for 5 years and going.Conga the same, and Tumba as I mentioned changed it once,is still holding up. Pearl Elite are manufactured in Thailand like most of the brand name drums, now....At your Service....JAMMIN IN JAMAICA, MON!...Peace... ;) JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:47 pm

: :D Muata....Some drums have what we call a "Ping" or "Overtone" when slapped . Some more than others. Depends on the make of the drum. Also whether fiberglass or wood. And we have to take into consideration now of "Synthetic" Skins. Which have tremendous overtone. so then it boils down to "the Ear" and what you like as sound with your "style and drumming"........Hope that helps...At your Service.....JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to CongaSet and accessories