All Mic'ed Up

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Bongo Boy » Tue May 14, 2002 7:31 pm

I just set up my drums with a microphone, pre-amp and headphones to reduce the pounding my ears were taking, and so far, things are working quite well.

I wanted to protect my ears, but didn't want to wear earplugs. I tried plugs, and couldn't hear the drums well enough to make practice effective. Since I planned to do recording and a number of other things anyway, I decided to try this idea.

I bought some low-end equipment (Behringer 4-channel mixer for example) that seems to be suffering from some 60 Hz noise, and it also seriously cuts off the slaps if the output (main mix) isn't turned up fairly high. But, I think with a little more adjustment of the channel gain for the mic, I can get the pop reproduced and still have the low volume to the headphones I want.

I thought I'd relay this because--although it's not like this is a earthshaking idea--the idea seems to work very well for reducing ear stress.

Just FYI, I've got an MXL 1006 mic (an Audix D2 would probably work better, but the MXL was cheaper), the little Behringer 602A mixer, and a pair of high-isolation headphones (Sennheiser HD-280s). The mic can reproduce the pop of the slap with no problem--I believe it's the Behringer that just doesn't behave like I'd like (I didn't expect much for $70 USD).

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas to improve this setup, please let me know!!
Bongo Boy

Return to CongaSet and accessories