synthetic Evans heads -- advice wanted.

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby benbaboon » Wed May 08, 2002 12:13 am

Hi,
I'm looking to get synthetic heads for my LP original model fiberglass congas.
They have the first generation of comfort curve rims, and I'm not sure which of the evans heads would work better. The ones for the comfort curve II or the comfort curve II with extended collar.

I heard the heads on a friend's drums a dug the projection. I will still have 5 congas with natural skins for when that projection isn't desired.

Does anyone know the answer? have anyone tried it?
thanks,
-bb
benbaboon

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed May 08, 2002 5:13 am

Hi BenB...have you tried or heard the NEW Remo synthetic heads? I haven't, but the report on them is that they are good to the feel and sound good too. I'm not one for "artificial" skin on a natural instrument, but they have there place,now. I have played on the Evans and for me i can't feel the head, and my hands kinds slide on them. I'm acusstomed to being able to grip the drums and feel the "skin on skin". they sound ok and they hold up in weather, that is the catch. But you can still use natural heads in any kind of weather if you just put some baby powder on the heads, just before you play. All the Tabla players do that, and they play in 90 degree weather all the time. ...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA..... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Bongo Boy » Wed May 08, 2002 2:40 pm

Evans lists heads for "Extended Comfort Curve" and for "Comfort Curve". Under the heads listed for Comfort Curve, the Evans site says:

"Fits Classic/Salsa/Valje (tight fit)/Gio Old Models/Original & Patato Fiberglass/Old Galaxy Fiberglass/Matador Models".

So, those listed for the Comfort Curve are the ones you need. You might send Evans an email to verify.

I just installed one of these heads on my tumba and it's too soon to tell if I like it or not. One thing I CAN say--I was counting on the synthetics reducing or eliminating the nasty ringing of my rawhide heads (per the manufacturer's claims). Sorry--not even close. In fact, the overtones are much, much worse than with the natural skins.

What makes it worse is that the overtones appear 'purer'--that is, fewer frequencies with apparently the same amount of energy concentrated in a very narrow band. Extreme sustain, extreme ring, extremely irritated conguero :( The only possible positive I can imagine here is that the ringing would be easier to filter out during recording because it is so incredibly clean--the bronze bell of overtones.

Very easy slaps, and the feel is actually very nice. These heads are micro-etched and felt just slightly 'scratchy' at first. But definitely not slippery or greasy feeling.

Edited By Bongo Boy on May 10 2002 at 23:30
Bongo Boy

Return to CongaSet and accessories